Natural Philosophy: Why VS How

In summary, the presenter is giving a presentation on the principle of induction. He will be showing how acoustic energy is converted into an electrical signal and converted back into acoustic energy. He will then address the question of how and why. He has received responses that question is not a physics question and is a religious question. He has also been told that if the discussion degenerates into a purely philosophical discussion, the thread will be closed.
StarsFly
I am giving a presentation on the principle of induction. I'll be showing how acoustic energy (sound) is converted into an electrical signal (via mic) & thus converted back into acoustic energy (via loudspeaker). Now I need to address the following,

How & Why?

How doesn't bother me. I can satisfy that using laws (Lenz, Faraday). It's the why that gets me. I can explain to the audience that the only reason a voltage is induced is so it can create a magnetic field to "oppose" the change in flux. So to answer your question Timothy, it's because nature is trying to balance itself out. I guess my logic is flawed. Here are the responses I have received,

The laws of nature in this universe are set by the so-called constants of nature. There are twenty some of these constants; among which are Planck's Constant, the universal gravity constant, the speed of light, pi, and so on.

&

This is not a physics questions. This is a philosophy question, and to a certain extent, a religious question. Physics asks questions about what the rules are. Philosophy asks why. You have indeed set yourself a difficult task. You are effectively looking for an explanation to the Unified Field Theory. A voltage is not created with the purpose of generating a magnetic field. A magnetic field is a natural consequence of a voltage. The different is not merely semantic. It is a matter of the causal direction. Whether or not "nature is trying to balance itself" is also a philosophical question and is incompatible with a non-volitional nature. Nature isn't trying to balance itself. Nature is inherently balanced.Sure I can't explain why the constants are set the way they are, but why would it be so wrong of me to state that nature tends to progress towards stability

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does "progress towards stability" mean? Is higher entropy a more 'stable' state?

Show me some quantitative analysis here rather than a hand-waving argument. Please also note that if this degenerates into a purely philosophical discussion, this thread will be deleted or locked (see our Rules).

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What does "progress towards stability" mean? Is higher entropy a more 'stable' state?

Show me some quantitative analysis here rather than a hand-waving argument. Please also note that if this degenerates into a purely philosophical discussion, this thread will be deleted or locked (see our Rules).

Zz.

You're not going to get very far if you can't ask a why question. I still prefer natural philosophy over science:tongue:

I'll post this thread in the h/w.

From wiki:
Natural philosophy or the philosophy of nature (from Latin philosophia naturalis) was the philosophical study of nature and the physical universe that was dominant before the development of modern science. It is considered to be the precursor of natural sciences such as physics.

I hope you meant something else.

Thread closed due violation of multiple posting rule.

Zz.

1. Why is natural philosophy important?

Natural philosophy is important because it is the foundation of all scientific disciplines. It seeks to understand the natural world and its phenomena through observation, experimentation, and logical reasoning. This knowledge is essential for technological advancements, medical breakthroughs, and understanding our world and our place in it.

2. How does natural philosophy differ from other scientific disciplines?

Natural philosophy is the predecessor of modern science and encompasses a broad range of topics, including physics, biology, chemistry, and mathematics. It focuses on understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world, while modern scientific disciplines tend to specialize in a specific area of study.

3. Why is natural philosophy no longer a widely used term?

As scientific disciplines became more specialized and advanced, the term "natural philosophy" fell out of use. Today, we use terms like physics, biology, and chemistry to refer to specific areas of study. However, the principles and methods of natural philosophy still form the basis of modern scientific inquiry.

4. How does natural philosophy relate to philosophy?

Natural philosophy and philosophy are closely related fields of study. Natural philosophy seeks to explain the natural world through observation and experimentation, while philosophy examines fundamental questions about knowledge, reality, and existence. Both disciplines use critical thinking and logical reasoning to understand the world around us.

5. Why is the "why" versus "how" debate important in natural philosophy?

The "why" versus "how" debate in natural philosophy refers to the question of whether we should be focused on understanding the underlying reasons for natural phenomena (the "why"), or if we should be more concerned with how things work (the "how"). Both perspectives are important in driving scientific discovery and understanding the natural world, and the debate continues to shape the direction of scientific research.