Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural Vibration of Beam - PDE

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    I am just wondering the author is doing in this calculation step.

Given ##\displaystyle \rho A \frac {\partial^2 w}{\partial x^2} - \rho I \frac{\partial^4 w}{\partial t^2 \partial x^2} +\frac {\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}EI \frac {\partial^2 w}{\partial x^2}=q(x,t)##

where ##w(x,t)=W(x)e^{-i \omega t}##

##\omega## is the frequency of natural transverse motion and ##W(x)## is the mode shape of the transverse motion.

He substitutes the above into the PDE to get the following

##\displaystyle \frac {d^2 }{d x^2}EI \frac {d^2 W}{d x^2} - \lambda (\rho A W -\rho I \frac {d^2 W }{d x^2} ) =0## where ##\lambda=\omega^2##

However, I calculate the second derivative ##w''(x)=e^{-i\omega t} W''(x)## and ##w''(t)=- \lambda e^{-i\omega t} W(x)##

What is incorrect on my part? Ie, where did the exponentials go?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the non-homogeneity function q goes away, so that the PDE hat 0 in the RHS, you can show that the exponential gets factored in the LHS, so that the resulting ODE will no longer contain it.

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3

1) How does the non homogeneity function just go away?

2) How is it shown that the exponential is absorbed in the LHS of PDE?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  5. Dec 6, 2012 #4
    On second thoughts is it something along these lines...

If ##q(x,t)=0##then we can write the ODE in which each term on the LHS will have a ##e^{-i \omega t}## factor. Pull this out from each of the terms and thus we get

##e^{-i \omega t}[ODE]=0## but ##e^{-i \omega t}\ne 0## therefore

##[ODE]=0##...?

6. Dec 6, 2012 #5

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If "natural transverse motion" means the same as "free vibration", then q(x,t) can't depend on t by definition, otherwise you would have forced vibration not free vibration.

So this is the same idea as a vertical mass-on-a-spring, where the spring is stretched by the weight of the mass. You can find the equilibrium position as the statics problem
    $$\frac{d^2}{dz^2}EI\frac{d^2}{dz^2}w_0(x) = q(x)$$
    Then you measure w(x) from the equilibrum position. That makes the right hand side = 0.

You answered your own question 2).

7. Dec 7, 2012 #6
    Thanks, that makes good sense. Now I can proceed :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook