Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Natural vs Un-natural

1. May 12, 2008 #1

SF

I keep hearing people praise "natural" products even beyond the limits of the laws of physics!
    For example, a friend of mine who studies medicine said that natural vitamin C has different effects than artificial different C (the artificial one has some side effects) even though they have the same chemical structure.
    And he's going to be a freaking doctor! I'm sorry I can't remember what the specific difference was.

If there is any truth to these claims, then it must relate to the manufacturing process: artificial vitamin C may come together with other by-products that cause the side-effects, while natural vitamin C comes together with other plant stuff that might help the body.

Thoughts on this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2
    It has nothing to do with being natural or un-natural. It is well known that many artifical vitimin C products are far less absorbant and it is well known why, esterification. There are no "side effect" other that less efficiency.

4. Jun 6, 2008 #3
    I don't understand exactly what you mean by 'natural' products. Do you mean a comparison like extracted vitamin C tablets as opposed to 'natural' vitamin C from friuts, veggies, etc. or another comparison like organically grown veggies as opposed to chemically-treated crops?

Cause if it were the first example I gave, then it would be obvious that 'natural' is almost always better because the natural produce contains a plethora of other nutrients which complement the vitamin C content in the food.

Lots of examples can be given, but yes, I understand where you're coming from about the heaps of praise people give to 'natural' products. It might be justified, but more often than not it's just blown out of proportion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?