Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nature 25th Anniversary

1. Jan 18, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I watched the show on PBS the other night and the part about the Manakin birds was so funny! These birds "moonwalk" and you've just got to watch this. The show is a 25th Anniversary "Best of" film clips. The bird segment starts at 2:57 and the "moonwalk" starts at 4:13.

The clip with the orchid is very interesting and has to do with a journal entry by Charles Darwin on this previously unkown orchid. I will try to find more information. The entire show is available on the PBS site but requires that you download a special viewer like iTunes, so I am attaching the youtube link for the highlights.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ssaI-G8TLHk

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

berkeman

Thanks for the heads-up, Evo. I'll try to catch it -- Probably set up TiVo to look for it.

4. Jan 18, 2007 #3

Evo

The moth captured on film was predicted by Darwin but had never actually been seen before.

"In the early twentieth century it seemed that Darwin’s prediction had been borne out. A giant hawk moth from Madagascar, Xanthopan morganii praedicta, was captured, with a proboscis that measured more than nine inches long. Although no one has actually seen the insect feeding on the flower, the discovery is still remarkable, and strongly suggestive of the coevolution of the orchid and moth."

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/master.html?http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/0305/0305_feature.html

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4

Evo

No one thinks the birds are FREEKING HYSTERICAL????? :grumpy:

I laughed so hard when those birds started sliding. THEY'RE FUNNY!!! DAMNIT!!! :devil:

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    That was awesome! Several other parts are so depressing though! O_O!!!

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6

Evo

I know, don't watch the other parts, they're too sad. :cry:

8. Jan 19, 2007 #7
    Oh, um...............................HAHAHAHHAHahAH Cuz hes doing the moonwalk HAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cry: :cry:

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :rolleyes:

:tongue2:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  9. Jan 19, 2007 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very nice clip - I hope I get to watch the PBS show on Sunday.

Incidentally, Astronuc had previously linked to a clip of the moonwalking manakin from ebaumsworld.

Edit: Found it - http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/manakin.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  10. Jan 19, 2007 #9
    Oh that was so funny! But could it be 25 years already? {sighs}

11. Jan 19, 2007 #10

Evo

Hey that is one smooooth bird. :tongue:

Thanks Gokul!!!

The show has some excellent footage, but some pieces were a bit too graphic for me. It's well worth watching.

12. Jan 19, 2007 #11
    If I see a video of a human being killed, I don't really feel any emotion until I actually think about it. Watching an animal being killed by another, even when it's like the cheetah for food, gets me instantly. Animals just seem so innocent, and also we all see hundreds of humans die in movies allllllll the time.

I remember a video of some teenagers kicking a dog laying near a wall on some street. They were laughing about it the entire time. Even thinking about the dog's barks (the dog didn't seem angry, but it was more of a 'why are you doing this to me' kind of bark) makes me angry and sad......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?