Nature 25th Anniv: Manakin Birds Moonwalking and Darwin's Orchid

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, the show on PBS the other night was about the Manakin birds and their moonwalking. Darwin's journal entry on an orchid was interesting, and the moth captured on film was predicted by him. Some parts were funny, but other parts were sad.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I watched the show on PBS the other night and the part about the Manakin birds was so funny! These birds "moonwalk" and you've just got to watch this. The show is a 25th Anniversary "Best of" film clips. The bird segment starts at 2:57 and the "moonwalk" starts at 4:13.

The clip with the orchid is very interesting and has to do with a journal entry by Charles Darwin on this previously unkown orchid. I will try to find more information. The entire show is available on the PBS site but requires that you download a special viewer like iTunes, so I am attaching the youtube link for the highlights.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ssaI-G8TLHk

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the heads-up, Evo. I'll try to catch it -- Probably set up TiVo to look for it.

The moth captured on film was predicted by Darwin but had never actually been seen before.

"In the early twentieth century it seemed that Darwin’s prediction had been borne out. A giant hawk moth from Madagascar, Xanthopan morganii praedicta, was captured, with a proboscis that measured more than nine inches long. Although no one has actually seen the insect feeding on the flower, the discovery is still remarkable, and strongly suggestive of the coevolution of the orchid and moth."

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/master.html?http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/0305/0305_feature.html

No one thinks the birds are FREEKING HYSTERICAL? :grumpy:

I laughed so hard when those birds started sliding. THEY'RE FUNNY! DAMNIT! :devil:

That was awesome! Several other parts are so depressing though! O_O!

moose said:
That was awesome! Several other parts are so depressing though! O_O!
I know, don't watch the other parts, they're too sad. :cry:

Evo said:
No one thinks the birds are FREEKING HYSTERICAL? :grumpy:

I laughed so hard when those birds started sliding. THEY'RE FUNNY! DAMNIT! :devil:

Oh, um......HAHAHAHHAHahAH Cuz he's doing the moonwalk HAHAHAAHAHAHA!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cry: :cry:

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :rolleyes:

:tongue2:

Last edited:
Very nice clip - I hope I get to watch the PBS show on Sunday.

Incidentally, Astronuc had previously linked to a clip of the moonwalking manakin from ebaumsworld.

Edit: Found it - http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/manakin.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that was so funny! But could it be 25 years already? {sighs}

cyrusabdollahi said:
Oh, um......HAHAHAHHAHahAH Cuz he's doing the moonwalk HAHAHAAHAHAHA!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :cry: :cry:

WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :rolleyes:

:tongue2:
Hey that is one smooooth bird. :tongue:

Gokul43201 said:
Very nice clip - I hope I get to watch the PBS show on Sunday.

Incidentally, Astronuc had previously linked to a clip of the moonwalking manakin from ebaumsworld.

Edit: Found it - http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/manakin.html
Thanks Gokul!

The show has some excellent footage, but some pieces were a bit too graphic for me. It's well worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I see a video of a human being killed, I don't really feel any emotion until I actually think about it. Watching an animal being killed by another, even when it's like the cheetah for food, gets me instantly. Animals just seem so innocent, and also we all see hundreds of humans die in movies allllllll the time.

I remember a video of some teenagers kicking a dog laying near a wall on some street. They were laughing about it the entire time. Even thinking about the dog's barks (the dog didn't seem angry, but it was more of a 'why are you doing this to me' kind of bark) makes me angry and sad...

1. What is the significance of the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior?

The Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior is significant because it is a unique courtship display that has only been observed in a few bird species. This behavior is believed to have evolved as a way for male birds to attract females and demonstrate their fitness as potential mates.

2. How does the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior relate to Darwin's theory of evolution?

The Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior is a prime example of natural selection, which is a key component of Darwin's theory of evolution. The birds that perform this behavior are more likely to attract mates and pass on their genes, leading to the evolution and persistence of this behavior over time.

3. What is the connection between the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior and the orchid it pollinates?

The Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior is crucial for pollinating the orchid it feeds on. The bird's feet get covered in pollen while performing the moonwalk, and when it visits other flowers, it transfers the pollen, allowing the orchid to reproduce. This is a mutually beneficial relationship between the bird and the orchid.

4. How does the study of the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior contribute to our understanding of nature?

Studying the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior provides insight into the complex relationships and behaviors that exist in nature. It also highlights the important role of courtship displays and pollination in the survival and evolution of species. Additionally, studying this behavior can help us understand how different species adapt and evolve in response to their environment.

5. Is the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior threatened by any environmental factors?

Currently, the Manakin bird's moonwalking behavior is not considered to be threatened by any environmental factors. However, like many species, they may face threats in the future due to habitat loss and climate change. It is important to continue to study and protect this behavior and the species that rely on it for their survival.

Back