Nature of charge at the junction of a composite wire

In summary, the current density at the junction between copper and iron is greater for copper than iron due to greater conductivity of copper. This would imply that the current ##I## in the copper is greater than the current ##I## in the iron. However, under steady state conditions the currents must be the same.
Aishikdesto

Homework Statement

Please help me answer thew question in the image.[/B]
KVPY doubt.PNG

Homework Equations

Current Density J=conductivity X Electric field[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

As the current density depends on the conductivity of the material through which the electrons constitutuing it are flowing hence the current density in copper should be more than iron due to greater conductivity of copper. Hence negative charge should accumulate at the junction of copper and iron.

Attachments

• KVPY doubt.PNG
    KVPY doubt.PNG
    18.3 KB · Views: 744
Physics news on Phys.org
Aishikdesto said:
Hence negative charge should accumulate at the junction of copper and iron.
As the choices indicate, you need to distinguish the two sides of the junction. And don't forget that the conventional current flow is opposite to the electron flow.

Could it perhaps be that any charges there are a result of an electrochemical reaction between dissimilar metals?

gneill said:
Could it perhaps be that any charges there are a result of an electrochemical reaction between dissimilar metals?
That depends on what the word "joined" connotes. If they have been just kept in contact, should any electrochemical reaction occur?

Wrichik Basu said:
That depends on what the word "joined" connotes. If they have been just kept in contact, should any electrochemical reaction occur?
Yes, I'd think so. The metals have different electronegativity, different "standard electrode potentials". Galvanic corrosion comes to mind. I am the first one to admit that I am not an expert in this area, but I remember the terms from high school and college chemistry :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu
gneill said:
Yes, I'd think so. The metals have different electronegativity, different "standard electrode potentials". Galvanic corrosion comes to mind. I am the first one to admit that I am not an expert in this area, but I remember the terms from high school and college chemistry :smile:
The doubt I have is that the question implies it is related to the applied current. I think I have come across this effect before on this forum.

Likes gneill
Sorry guys, as long as the metals just touch each other all this chemical mumbo-jumbo doesn't apply.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Delta2
gneill said:
It looks like the same principle as this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/resistor-made-from-two-materials.900569/#post-5670963
Essentially, the voltage gradients in each wire imply different field strengths. Applying Gauss' law to the boundary yields a local static charge.

Welcome to PF, Aishikdesto.

Aishikdesto said:
...the current density in copper should be more than iron...
This would imply that the current ##I## in the copper is greater than the current ##I## in the iron. This isn't correct under steady-state conditions. Can you see why the currents must be the same? What can you say about the current density ##j##?

##j = \sigma E##
Which material has a greater value of ##\sigma##? A greater value of ##E##?
Apply Gauss' law to an appropriate closed surface.

Likes Delta2 and Charles Link
Charles Link said:
Looks to me like the Peltier effect will occur here. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect As for excess electrostatic charge build-up, perhaps @Borek has it right when I think he suggests that there isn't any.
I'm reasonably sure my interpretation in post #8 is the right one. TSny seems to agree.

Likes Charles Link
For the steady state I totally agree with @TSny post.

But can anyone tell us what happens in the transient state during which the charge at the interface is building up? I think the OP's reasoning at post #1 maybe applies for the transient state.

haruspex said:
I'm reasonably sure my interpretation in post #8 is the right one. TSny seems to agree.
Yes, I agree. Somehow I overlooked post #8. My post was fairly redundant.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the nature of charge at the junction of a composite wire?

At the junction of a composite wire, the charges are typically distributed evenly between the different materials that make up the wire. This means that the charges are shared between the materials and can move freely within the wire.

2. How is the charge distributed in a composite wire?

The charge is distributed according to the properties of the materials that make up the composite wire. For example, if one material has a higher conductivity than the other, it will have a larger share of the charge.

3. Can the charge distribution change in a composite wire?

Yes, the charge distribution in a composite wire can change if the properties of the materials or the external conditions, such as temperature and pressure, change. This can affect the flow of current in the wire.

4. How does the nature of charge at the junction of a composite wire affect its conductivity?

The nature of charge at the junction of a composite wire can greatly affect its conductivity. If the charges are evenly distributed and can move freely, the wire will have a higher conductivity. However, if the charges are not evenly distributed or are restricted in their movement, the conductivity will be lower.

5. What factors can influence the nature of charge at the junction of a composite wire?

The nature of charge at the junction of a composite wire can be influenced by various factors, such as the type of materials used, their properties, and external conditions like temperature and pressure. Additionally, the way the wire is constructed and connected can also affect the charge distribution.