Is Electric Current a Scalar, Vector, or Constrained Vector?

In summary, current is a scalar, but current density is a vector. The direction of current can be determined by the direction of motion of charges, but this can vary depending on the context and chosen reference frame. Phasors are added similarly to vectors, but the reference for phasors is typically set at an initial phase of 0. However, the concept of phase can be seen as a metaphor for direction in dealing with phasors. Ultimately, current can be modeled as both a scalar and a vector, depending on the context, but it is generally considered a scalar in electrical circuits.
debajyoti datta
what is electric current...a scaler or vector?? ...well I personally believe that it is somewhere in between the two extremes (what is not 0,need not be an 1 either :oldbiggrin: ) ...particularly because of the strange similarity we see in vector addition and phasor addition)...some people call it a constrained vector...let us discuss

Physics news on Phys.org
debajyoti datta said:
what is electric current...a scaler or vector??

electric current is defined as time rate of flow of charge -so naturally it has a direction and a magnitude .
some phenomena depend on the direction of current - in electrical circuits the flow is restricted so the vectror takes a circulatory turn /some people may be calling it constrained to move in a particular way- charges can move due to field effect and the current element has a definite direction

Likes debajyoti datta
Drakkith said:
As far as I know, current in a standard electrical circuit is a scalar. You don't ever see current described in vector
you are very much correct.
well i was referring to the direction of current in terms of motion of charges - may not be in electrical circuits .
for example if we take the effect on current element in a magnetic field or the circulatory charges leading to current - there we take the current in a definite spatial direction- /calculation of force on a current carrying conductor.
in those cases we take the vector product of current element with magnetic field vector..

And when AC current is represented as a phasor?
This is a vector in an abstract 2D space, but whether that counts ...?
Perhaps we should not be saying, "Is current a vector?", rather, "Can current usefully be modeled by a vector?" After all, that's what a vector is, a mathematical abstraction. The world is not full of little arrows - they're just in our minds and on our diagrams.

Edit: & just going back to OP, "What is electric current...a scaler or vector?" Is that a real question? Should it not be, "Can we (usefully) model electric current as a scalar or a vector, in some particular context."
It is like my pet hate - is light a particle or a wave? No, light is light. Sometimes it is useful to use a wave model, sometimes a particle model, but light isn't a model. Even if people cleverer than me know a model that fits all known situations for light, then it is still a model that we can use to make predictions about what real light actually does.

Last edited:
Likes debajyoti datta
1st of all I am not saying that current is a vector, but I am arguing that it is not a scaler also...phasors are added just like vectors...and the reference for them is intial phase=0...now...direction is always w.r.t the reference co-ordinate system you choose according to your convenience...and your reference will give you the result which you want...nothing is absolute in this world...as per as calculation is concerned in pen-paper, directions can come from chosen reference... can't we think phase as a metaphor for direction while dealing with phasors? ... in that sense,I opine that current falls somewhere in between scaler and vector.

debajyoti datta said:
I opine that current falls somewhere in between scaler and vector.
Do you have a reference which shares this opinion?

As far as I know, current is a scalar. In KCL, we add currents algebrically at a node. In case of ac circuits, phasors are rms values.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/cTRommP4ZE43NDXHNxeM5dJ1LBBJCPaUXfx-s63iEVycNbLpnAyHA94ZLF8tVo4p2NHANLkrQ6N05WU5xoRUDuLNAfDoaxPeie4lkj0nXc1t=w399-h241-nc
Here, Is will be phasor addition of IR, IL and Ic and they're all rms values. But if we consider instantaneous values, they can be added algebraically. We can choose the sign of current depending on wheather it is entering or leaving the node, but we can add the currents algebraically. For magnetic circuits, direction of current determines the magnetic flux direction and magnetic polarity but that's all. I haven't seen components of current like components of vectors in different directions.

Dale said:
Do you have a reference which shares this opinion?
I googled "is current scalar,vector or constrained vector"...and went on the first facebook link

debajyoti datta said:
and went on the first facebook link

And you think this is a valid reference?

The current density at a point inside a conductor is a vector, ##\vec J##.

The current in a wire is the surface integral of ##\vec J## over a cross section of the wire, which is a scalar, I: $$I = \int {\vec J \cdot d \vec a}$$

Likes berkeman, Dale and cnh1995
debajyoti datta said:
I googled "is current scalar,vector or constrained vector"...and went on the first facebook link
Please review the forum rules regarding acceptable references on PF.

The post by jtbell completely answers the question. Current density is a vector, current is a scalar.

Since the question is answered and since there are no relevant references regarding anything "in between", this thread is closed.

Likes berkeman

What is the nature of electric current?

The nature of electric current refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductive medium. It is a fundamental concept in physics and describes the movement of electrons or ions in a closed circuit.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured in units of amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter. This device measures the amount of charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit time.

What factors affect the nature of electric current?

The nature of electric current is affected by several factors, including the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material the current is flowing through. Changes in these factors can alter the flow of current in a circuit.

What are the two types of electric current?

The two types of electric current are direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices. AC alternates in direction and is used in most household and industrial electrical systems.

How does electric current affect our daily lives?

Electric current plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It powers our homes, offices, and transportation systems. It also enables the use of electronic devices, such as smartphones and computers. Without electric current, many aspects of modern life would not be possible.