Solving Problem $6$: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter newsun
  • Start date
In summary, a user on PF is seeking help with problem 6 which involves concepts related to the nature of light such as refraction, reflection, and diffraction. The problem is part of a set of six exercises, each with its own specific topic. The user is reminded to provide a specific title for their problem and to avoid posting attachments in proprietary formats. Hints for each problem are also provided.
newsun
Please help me with problem $6$ in here

Attachments

• 20111202.doc
    163 KB · Views: 162
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF:
There are six exercizes there related to concepts about how light refracts, reflects, moves etc.
However, we cannot know how to help you if you have not attempted any of them.
Show us what you have tried.

For instance - #1 is about Snell's law

Note1: Your title really needs to be related to the problem. "Help me" is not very informative: that's what we are here for.

Note2: it is often considered poor nettiquette to post attachments in proprietary restricted formats - especially ones that are notorious vectors for viruses. Not everyone has Microsoft Word to read doc files with - so they have to use Google Docs or something. Fortunately this one would open in Libre Office. It is best practice, when you want help, to make it as easy as possible for someone to help you.

Last edited:
Quoting for record.
newsun said:
Please help me with problem $6$ in here

Nature of light
Exercise 1:

John would like to swim from A point on the bank of a river to B point on the other blank side (Fig.1). The distance from B to the blank of the river is h, and the width of the river is r.
If v1 and v2 are John swimming and running velocities, respectively. Determine the shortest time that John reach the B point if the distance from A to B along to the river blank is l.

Figure 1.
Exercise 2:
In an experiment of measuring diffraction factor of a pyramid we use a light as source and light to the edge of the pyramid. After changing the angle of the coming in light we have the going out light make a symmetric position in comparing with the pyramid.
The opening angle of the pyramid and the going out light are α and β, respectively (Fig. 2).
Determine the diffraction factor of the pyramid material.
Figure 2.
Exercise 3:
In a rain we could hear the sound of the thunder 6 seconds later than we had seen it. Calculate the distance from us to the thunder position.

Exercise 4:
In some story, they sometime saw the images of cities on the cloud when got lost on the deserts. The reason was that, the diffraction factor of the air at those desert decreases depend on the height. Consider the diffraction factor depends on the height as next function: if n0, a, b are constants.
Calculate the nearest city that would be seen and the highest point that a light reflect.
Exercise 5:

Estimate the thickness of a bubble
Exercise 6:
Newton’s Rings:
Figure 6 shows an image given by so called Newton ring experiment (upper) and schematic set up of the experiment (under). Light with wavelength λ goes through a curve surface, which has spherical r = 100 cm radius, reflects at planar surface and gives red rings shown in upper plan (Fig. 6), which have radiuses shown in next table:
No R(cm)
1 1.77
2 3.10
3 4.01
4 4.73
5 5.43
6 6.02
7 6.48
8 6.95
9 7.12
10 7.88
Calculate the wavelength with measurement error.

Figure 6

Attachments

• newsun.doc
    163 KB · Views: 167
Thanks for all of replies. Now 6 problems are clear. Can you give me some hints of answers for these..

I like #5: the image shows a very clear upright image and asks to estimate the thickness.

I suppose I could help out and upload a pdf, or something, of the document but the original turned out to be clean and easily read, no nasty undocumented stuff in there, so it was no biggie. In that case it is kinda tricky to know whether to say anything... I just erred on the side of knowledge over ignorance.

OK: Hints:

1. You need to know Snell's Law and what "refractive index" means.
2. You need to know what a "diffraction factor" means for a prism.
3. You need to know the speed of light and the speed of sound.
4. Also diffraction factors: how do mirages work?
5. Is the image in the bubble the result of reflection or refraction?
6. Experimental methods - use the data to make a graph in such a way that the slope of the graph tells you want you need to know.

Newsun, you didn't fill out the template and you made no effort at solving the problem. No one is allowed to help you until you tell us what you have tried already and where you are stumped.

What is "Solving Problem $6$: A Step-by-Step Guide"?

"Solving Problem $6$: A Step-by-Step Guide" is a guide designed to help individuals approach and solve a problem in a systematic and efficient manner. It provides step-by-step instructions and strategies for identifying and addressing the root cause of a problem, leading to a successful solution.

Why is it important to follow a step-by-step guide for problem solving?

Following a step-by-step guide for problem solving helps individuals to stay organized and focused on the task at hand. It also ensures that all important steps and considerations are taken into account, leading to a more thorough and effective solution.

What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a problem?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a problem include not identifying the root cause of the problem, jumping to conclusions without considering all the facts, and not considering alternative solutions. It is also important to avoid rushing through the problem-solving process and not seeking input from others.

Can this guide be used for any type of problem?

Yes, this guide can be used for a wide range of problems, including personal, professional, and academic. The steps and strategies outlined in the guide can be applied to various types of problems, making it a versatile tool for problem solving.

How can I determine if my problem has been successfully solved?

The success of a problem-solving process can be determined by evaluating whether the desired outcome has been achieved. This can include resolving the issue, improving the situation, or finding a satisfactory solution. It is also important to reflect on the process and identify any lessons learned for future problem-solving endeavors.