The Dual Nature of Light: Exploring Light's Particle and Wave Properties

In summary, the first paragraph is saying that if you want to flip an object over in more than one dimension, you need to go into a higher dimension. The second paragraph is saying that if you want to have continuous motion in a certain dimension, you need to allow complex numbers.
tallal hashmi said:
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod1.htmlYou should check this link
"Light is neither a particle nor a wave. Instead it is a quantum field. As a general rule while light is traveling it appears as a wave, but when the light quantum field is exchanging energy with anything it does so in quanta that appear as particles i.e. photons.

You see because light excites electrons in rhodosin molecules in the cells in your retina. Since this is an energy exchange (from the quantum field to the rhodopsin molecule) the interaction looks like absorption of a photon."http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/46237/is-the-wave-particle-duality-a-real-duality

Ignore Luboš Motl and go down juanrga's answer.. It covers some details and easily for us laymen.

Physics news on Phys.org
julcab12 said:
"Light is neither a particle nor a wave. Instead it is a quantum field.

What is the meaning of "is" in your assertion ? An ontological Meaning ?
Or just refer to a useful physical model to do prédiction about measurement outcome ?

Patrick

microsansfil said:
What is the meaning of "is" in your assertion ?

The usual meaning.

It isn't a particle or a wave - it is a quantum field.

Thanks
Bill

Hi all,

In the framework of Classical electromagnetism light is represented by a wave : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_electromagnetism#Electromagnetic_waves

In this framework we can do a lot of physical experiment without use quantum field theory in wihch the light is represented by a quantum field.

The question about nature of light is a metaphysical question.

Patrick

microsansfil said:
The question about nature of light is a metaphysical question.

Its a question of fact. All those other theories are a limiting case of QED, which is a quantum field theory ie Maxwell's equations follow from QED, but not the converse.

Thanks
Bill

microsansfil said:
What is the meaning of "is" in your assertion ? An ontological Meaning ?

Patrick
BTW. It's not mine. I just find the answer convincing to a degree when you consider what it says about experimental limits, outcomes and details. 'Is' in a sense constrained to experimental limits or observed behavior, that it is how we look, describe and formulate light regardless if there can be or/ perhaps any underlying or more fundamental nature of it. In fact, we can't say much about it except put an approximation or some constraint. In QFT-Max Planck (Analogy --indivisible units/chunks -- not particles or localised particles of spread out fields, 6 fields in total); spreading, diffraction and interference and the rest of observation(which is a function of wave) are explained without any duality.

http://statintquant.net/siq/siqse3.html#x42-60003
http://home.web.cern.ch/about/physics

microsansfil said:
Or just refer to a useful physical model to do prédiction about measurement outcome ?
Patrick

A more meaningful question is that -- Is it a effective or fundamental? Physical models are descriptions of what has been observed and what we observed are bound by our confidence with experiments. Waves are simply a description to a certain behavior and can be said as well to particle. But what's more evident or natural question is in the interaction part.

..According to Weinberg's viewpoint,

In my opinion. Well not a personal one but i find to be more convincing for some reason and i could be wrong for that matter. I'm more interested in the interactions and structures (relational view) than the description itself -- Loops and spinfoams but this is beyond QM and i won't stretch it out.