1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nature of this number

1. Feb 15, 2006 #1
    A small cute question here :biggrin:.

[itex]i[/tex] is imaginary. So what is the nature of [itex]i^i[/itex]. Is it imaginary too?

[tex]i = \sqrt{-1}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2006 #2
    knowing that i is e^(i*pi/2), raising it to the ith power gives you e^(i^2*pi/2) and i^2 is -1, so e^(-pi/2)
    *pulls out Ti-89*

yup.

4. Feb 15, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The question is ill-posed. There isn't just one number that may lay claim to the representation as [itex]i^{i}[/itex]; infinitely many numbers, in fact, can claim that right.

5. Feb 15, 2006 #4
    How is it possible to show that? Isn't [itex]i^i[/itex] purely imaginary?

6. Feb 15, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It has to do with the complex logarithm being non-unique, we have, say for any choice of integer k:
    [tex]i=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}+i2k\pi}[/tex]
    Thus, the logarithm of i is the set of numbers [itex]i(\frac{\pi}{2}+2k\pi), k\in{Z}[/itex]

Thus, we have:
    [tex]i^{i}=e^{i*(i*(\frac{\pi}{2}+2k\pi))}=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}-2k\pi}[/itex]

7. Feb 15, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All of which are, by the way, real, not "pure imaginary"!

8. Feb 15, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Can't see I said they were imaginary, but I should have emphasized them being real nonetheless.
    Thanks, HallsofIvy

9. Feb 15, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You didn't. I was emphasizing that they are real since the original post was "[itex]i[/itex] is imaginary. So what is the nature of [itex]i^i[/itex]. Is it imaginary too?" and then after you said there were many numbers equal to [itex]i^i[/b], Reshma said "How is it possible to show that? Isn't [itex]i^i[/itex] purely imaginary?" so I thought it best to make it very clear that all "variations" of ii were real, not imaginary.

10. Feb 15, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You didn't. I was emphasizing that they are real since the original post was "[itex]i[/itex] is imaginary. So what is the nature of [itex]i^i[/itex]. Is it imaginary too?" and then after you said there were many numbers equal to [itex]i^i[/b], Reshma said "How is it possible to show that? Isn't [itex]i^i[/itex] purely imaginary?" so I thought it best to make it very clear that all "variations" of ii were real, not imaginary.

11. Feb 15, 2006 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I fully agree. I ought to have emphasized it, your clarification was necessary.

12. Feb 15, 2006 #11

VietDao29

Homework Helper

There must be something wrong with the server, or my browser is working funkily. I somehow cannot view the LaTeX image here... :confused:

13. Feb 15, 2006 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

14. Feb 16, 2006 #13
    Thank you very much, Arildno and HallsofIvy! So, [itex]i^i[/itex] is real !!

15. Feb 17, 2006 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The same goes for the more spectacular (when it comes to notation)

[tex] \sqrt{i}=i^{\frac{1}{i}}=e^{\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi} , n\in\mathbb{Z} [/tex]

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?