Nature of Waves: Why Do They Form?

In summary, waves form due to the presence of restoring forces. These forces cause matter to undergo wave motion in order to transfer energy. The speed of the waves is determined by the tension and inertia of the medium through which they are traveling. For electromagnetic radiation, the restoring force is the electric tension and the inertial element is the magnetic inductance, which results in the speed of light.
LightRocks
My question is regarding the nature of waves, and may be a very elementary question. Please bear with me.

I am curious as to why waves form the way that they do. If for example i were to turn on the speaker in my car, then the resulting wave that is produced is simply energy transfer through air particles. Why does the energy transfer in a wave pattern? Are the air particles actually bouncing off each other in a pattern that resembles a wave, constantly turning up and down through the medium in which they are traveling? Is there some nature of matter that causes travel through it to propogate in a wave formation? Or does the energy transfer travel in a straight line and the wave is a way of measuring its intensity at anyone point?

Thanks for any help :)

EDIT: Now that i think about it sound, light, water etc must travel through their mediums in actual wave patterns, otherwise cancellation(like in the 2 slit light experiment) wouldn't happen. Still I'm wondering why waves form the way that they do. Is a wave pattern the path of least resistance for the energy that is being transferred?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LightRocks said:
I am curious as to why waves form the way that they do. If for example i were to turn on the speaker in my car, then the resulting wave that is produced is simply energy transfer through air particles. Why does the energy transfer in a wave pattern? Are the air particles actually bouncing off each other in a pattern that resembles a wave, constantly turning up and down through the medium in which they are traveling? Is there some nature of matter that causes travel through it to propogate in a wave formation? Or does the energy transfer travel in a straight line and the wave is a way of measuring its intensity at anyone point?
To answer this question you have to look at the forces that cause motion to occur, and how those forces vary in time and over space.

Energy moves in waves where there are restoring forces. If a displacement of matter gives rise to a restoring force, the matter will undergo some form of wave motion.

AM

I'm not entirely sure, but your post seems to imply that you believe that the particles are moving up and down to make a sine wave, like a wave on a rope. This is not how a sound wave is transmitted in air. A sound wave is a compression wave where the air particles transmit the wave by squishing together and spreading apart.

moose352

"spherical" would be the proper form of a sound wave, not sine. AM is saying that the "duality" of compression/expansion each acts as a restorative or causal force to create the next, larger, wave front.

TRoc

T. Roc,

I am aware of that the sound wave is not a sine wave. That is what I was clarifying my post, as the OP seemed as though he believe that a sound wave is like a sine wave.

Moose

hmm

thanks everyone, this helps to clarify it for me :)

As for electromagnetic radiation, is that different? It seems like there could be no restoring force for that, since its not just a rippling of the medium ...

In all waves, the speed goes up with "tension" (think of a stretched string), and goes down with "inertia" (thicker strings = slower speed). The equation is like this:

[tex]speed = (\frac{tension}{inertia})^1/2[/tex]

To paraphrase the achievements of J.C. Maxwell in modern notation:

The restoring force is the electric tension:

[tex]\frac{1}{\epsilon_0}[/tex] "The permitivity of free space." = 8.85*10^12

And the inertial element is the magnetic inductance:

[tex]\mu_0[/tex] "The permeability of free space". = 4*pi*10^-7

If you relate these in the way common to all waves:

[tex]speed = (\frac{tension}{inertia})^1/2[/tex]

Then you calculate a speed of 300,000,000 m/s i.e. the speed of light.

1. What are waves?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, transferring energy from one place to another without causing any permanent displacement of the medium itself.

2. How do waves form?

Waves form when a source of energy, such as an earthquake or wind, causes a disturbance in a medium. This disturbance then propagates through the medium, creating a wave.

3. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves, which require a medium to travel through, and electromagnetic waves, which can travel through a vacuum. Mechanical waves include transverse waves, such as water waves, and longitudinal waves, such as sound waves. Electromagnetic waves include light, radio waves, and x-rays.

4. Why do waves have different properties?

The properties of a wave, such as wavelength, frequency, and speed, depend on the medium through which it is traveling. Different mediums have different properties, which can affect the behavior of waves passing through them.

5. How are waves measured?

Waves are measured using various properties such as wavelength, amplitude, frequency, and speed. The tools used to measure waves include rulers, wave meters, oscilloscopes, and spectrometers.