How Can We Reconnect with Nature as Scientists?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that as professionals, scientists become less interested in experiencing nature and more focused on data and lab work. It questions how many astrophysicists and biochemists actually take the time to enjoy nature and expresses a desire for a simpler life in nature. The conversation also touches on the popular recreational activities of particle physicists and the sacrifices required to pursue a career in studying nature. The conversation ends with a suggestion to compartmentalize the love for nature as a hobby and the scientific study of it.
pergradus
The job of a physicist is to study nature, but how many actually get out and experience nature?

It seems that the more professional someone becomes, the less interested they are in actually enjoying the things they study - it all becomes about data and graphs and lab work.

How many astrophysicists or astronomers actually go out at night and look up at the night sky, or through a telescope with their eye god forbid?

How many biochemists take the time to walk in a wild field and breath in the life around them? I do enjoy learning about physics and I'd like to make a career of it one day, but at the same time I really don't like the idea of always being couped up in a lab or chained to a computer chair. I'd like to live in the mountains one day when I'm older and fish and hunt, and chop wood and read infront of a fireplace through the long winter and live a simple life...

Maybe I'm just feeling this way because it's the start of spring, but as much as I am fascinated and find studying nature inspirational, I am somewhat horrified by the way in which it is done and the sacrifices one has to make to pursue it. Any other people feel this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
pergradus said:
How many astrophysicists or astronomers actually go out at night and look up at the night sky, or through a telescope with their eye god forbid?

I'd guess most of them. The ones at my university do.

pergradus said:

I do.

I was quite surprised about 30 years ago to discover that the overwhelmingly most popular recreational activity for particle physicists was rock-climbing and/or back-pack hiking. I don't know whether or not that still applies.

Judging by some of the avatars here, that would still seem to be the case.

pergradus said:
How many biochemists take the time to walk in a wild field and breath in the life around them? I do enjoy learning about physics and I'd like to make a career of it one day, but at the same time I really don't like the idea of always being couped up in a lab or chained to a computer chair. I'd like to live in the mountains one day when I'm older and fish and hunt, and chop wood and read infront of a fireplace through the long winter and live a simple life...

My feelings precisely. Moreover, that's exactly what I'm doing next Summer before I start grad school. Going to drive to the middle of nowhere and set up camp...

Danger said:
I was quite surprised about 30 years ago to discover that the overwhelmingly most popular recreational activity for particle physicists was rock-climbing and/or back-pack hiking. I don't know whether or not that still applies.
It's not surprising if you think about it. A lot of particle physicists spend several weeks a year at CERN, with the [STRIKE]Swiss[/STRIKE]French Alps in their backyard. Going back a few decades before that, a significant fraction of the community included Cosmic Ray physicists. And if you wanted good fluxes, you had to work at high elevations. With that kind of work setting, you can't help but take up climbing, hiking and/or backpacking.

Last edited:
pergradus said:
Maybe I'm just feeling this way because it's the start of spring, but as much as I am fascinated and find studying nature inspirational, I am somewhat horrified by the way in which it is done and the sacrifices one has to make to pursue it. Any other people feel this way?

It's hard work, rest is just Hollywood.

pergradus said:
The job of a physicist is to study nature, but how many actually get out and experience nature?

It seems that the more professional someone becomes, the less interested they are in actually enjoying the things they study - it all becomes about data and graphs and lab work.

You need to learn to compartmentalize these things... love of nature and exploring it as a hobby, and exploring the fundamentals in through the scientific method is very different, but you can do both.

1. How important is it for scientists to reconnect with nature?

Reconnecting with nature is crucial for scientists as it allows them to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and the processes that govern it. It also allows for a more holistic approach to scientific research.

2. What are some ways scientists can reconnect with nature?

Some ways scientists can reconnect with nature include spending time outdoors, participating in citizen science projects, and incorporating nature-based activities into their daily routines.

3. How can reconnecting with nature benefit scientific research?

Reconnecting with nature can benefit scientific research by providing scientists with new perspectives and ideas, improving mental and physical well-being, and promoting a more sustainable and ethical approach to research.

4. How can we balance technology and nature as scientists?

One way to balance technology and nature is by utilizing technology in a responsible and sustainable manner while also making time to disconnect and spend time in nature. Scientists can also incorporate technology into their research to enhance their understanding of the natural world.

5. How can we inspire future generations of scientists to reconnect with nature?

To inspire future generations of scientists to reconnect with nature, we can promote environmental education and hands-on experiences in nature, encourage sustainable and ethical practices in research, and highlight the importance of nature in scientific discoveries and advancements.