Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE!

• Thread starter Dcase
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Jeff Hecht discusses “A question of breeding” in ‘The Neanderthal correlation’.
Last 3 paragraphs [of FUTURES], if true [?]:

“That human mathematical intelligence came from Neanderthals? That’s what the data say. The Cro-Magnons had the social skills. But that isn’t all.”
I stared at her. I couldn’t tell that to the research council.
As usual, she couldn’t read the warning look on my face. “The hybridization was successful in the Stone Age, but the environment has changed. I found that modern culture selects for socialization but against the Neanderthal traits for mathematics and intelligence,” she said, and looked down. “I don’t know how you’ll survive when our genes are gone.”

Answers and Replies

Evo
Mentor
Jeff Hecht discusses “A question of breeding” in ‘The Neanderthal correlation’.
Last 3 paragraphs [of FUTURES], if true [?]:

“That human mathematical intelligence came from Neanderthals? That’s what the data say. The Cro-Magnons had the social skills. But that isn’t all.”
I stared at her. I couldn’t tell that to the research council.
As usual, she couldn’t read the warning look on my face. “The hybridization was successful in the Stone Age, but the environment has changed. I found that modern culture selects for socialization but against the Neanderthal traits for mathematics and intelligence,” she said, and looked down. “I don’t know how you’ll survive when our genes are gone.”
The "Futures" section of Nature is nothing but science fiction stories. Did you know that? This is fiction.