Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE

• Thread starter Dcase
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nature
In summary, Jeff Hecht discusses the idea that human mathematical intelligence may have originated from Neanderthals. He explains that while Cro-Magnons had strong social skills, Neanderthals may have contributed to our mathematical abilities. However, the success of this hybridization in the Stone Age does not guarantee survival in the modern world, as modern culture values socialization over Neanderthal traits for intelligence. Hecht's colleague expresses concern for the future of humanity when our Neanderthal genes are no longer present. This conversation is part of a fictional story in the "Futures" section of Nature.
Dcase
Jeff Hecht discusses “A question of breeding” in ‘The Neanderthal correlation’.
Last 3 paragraphs [of FUTURES], if true [?]:

“That human mathematical intelligence came from Neanderthals? That’s what the data say. The Cro-Magnons had the social skills. But that isn’t all.”
I stared at her. I couldn’t tell that to the research council.
As usual, she couldn’t read the warning look on my face. “The hybridization was successful in the Stone Age, but the environment has changed. I found that modern culture selects for socialization but against the Neanderthal traits for mathematics and intelligence,” she said, and looked down. “I don’t know how you’ll survive when our genes are gone.”

Physics news on Phys.org
Dcase said:
Jeff Hecht discusses “A question of breeding” in ‘The Neanderthal correlation’.
Last 3 paragraphs [of FUTURES], if true [?]:

“That human mathematical intelligence came from Neanderthals? That’s what the data say. The Cro-Magnons had the social skills. But that isn’t all.”
I stared at her. I couldn’t tell that to the research council.
As usual, she couldn’t read the warning look on my face. “The hybridization was successful in the Stone Age, but the environment has changed. I found that modern culture selects for socialization but against the Neanderthal traits for mathematics and intelligence,” she said, and looked down. “I don’t know how you’ll survive when our genes are gone.”
The "Futures" section of Nature is nothing but science fiction stories. Did you know that? This is fiction.

This is a fascinating concept that challenges our understanding of human evolution and the origins of our intelligence. The idea that Neanderthals may have contributed to our mathematical abilities is intriguing and warrants further investigation. However, we must also consider the limitations of this study and the potential for bias or error in the data. It is important to approach this topic with caution and continue to gather evidence from various sources to fully understand the role of Neanderthals in human intelligence. Additionally, the implications of these findings for our future as a species are thought-provoking and raise important ethical considerations. As scientists, it is our responsibility to continue exploring and evaluating these ideas with an open mind and rigorous methodology.

What is the significance of "Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE"?

"Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE" is a journal article published in the prestigious scientific journal Nature. It is important because it presents new research findings and adds to the scientific knowledge on a specific topic.

What is the main topic of the article "Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE"?

The main topic of the article is not specified as "SURPRISE" could refer to a surprise discovery in any area of science. However, since it was published in the journal Nature, it is likely related to a significant scientific finding or advancement.

Who were the authors of "Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE"?

The authors of the article are listed in the byline of the publication. They could be scientists, researchers, or other experts in the field of study.

How can I access "Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE"?

Since "Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE" is a journal article, it may be accessible through a subscription to the journal or through a university or research institution's library. It may also be available for purchase or download from the publisher's website.

What is the significance of the date "22 May 2008" in the title "Nature v453 n7194 p562 22 May 2008 SURPRISE"?

The date "22 May 2008" is the publication date of the article. This is important because it allows other scientists to reference the article and its findings accurately in their own research.

Back