1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Navier-Stokes Equation

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    I was wondering if someone could help me this Navier-Stokes Equation.

f[(δv/δt) + v.Dv] = -DP + Dt + f

Could someone maybe explain the symbols and what it means.
    I'm not sure but I think Navier-Stokes equations describe fluid motion.

(The P could be ρ. I'm not too sure)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2
    You are correct that the equations describe fluid motion. I have a beautiful proof that solutions always exist in three dimensions, but unfortunately it is too big for this marginal comment.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I can't completely parse what you wrote, but some of it I can decipher:

The term in [] (not sure what that 'f' is doing there), is the "total" or "convective" derivative. It simply means that a spatial quantity (the velocity field vector 'v') is allowed to vary both in time and in space. I am assuming 'D' is a nabla (del) operator.

The term DP could be the gradient of pressure term, but the Dt term is normally the divergence of the stress tensor, so those two terms are a little ambiguous. The stress tensor consists of both an isotropic part (the pressure) and the off-diagonal antisymmetric components (the shear stress). The final 'f' is used if there is an external body force: gravity, centripetal forces, electromagnetic, etc. etc.

The Navier-Stokes equation you wrote is nothing more than ma=F for a continuous material. If ma(or []) = 0, then you have conservation of momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook