Converting Navier-Stokes Equations to Lagrangian Frame of Reference

• Thread starter cahill8
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses writing the momentum equations in the Lagrangian coordinate system, specifically in relation to gravity and viscosity. The main difference between Eulerian and Lagrangian frames of reference is that the control volume is fixed in space in Eulerian, while it moves with the flow in Lagrangian. This results in the use of total derivatives in the Lagrangian form, which can be converted from the partial derivatives used in Eulerian form. More help can be provided if needed.
cahill8

Homework Statement

I am asked to write down the momentum (navier-stokes equations) equations in the Lagrangian coordinate system. Gravity and viscosity can be ignored.

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/974/65019601.jpg (Eulerian Frame)

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I correct in thinking that I only need to change the RHS to change with time instead of position? The RHS only contains p, so can I split this up into px, py, pz? I can't seem to find any relevant information anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the fundamental difference between Eulerian and Lagrangian frames of reference (not coordinate systems) is that with Eulerian, the control volume is fixed in space, whereas Lagrangian moves with the flow.

The effect this has on the equations is that you end up with total (also called substantial) derivatives in the Lagrangian frame of reference. You'll end with something like:
[tex]
\rho\frac{D\vec{V}}{Dt}
[/tex]
Rather than
[tex]
\rho\frac{\partial \vec{V}}{\partial t}
[/tex]

You need to understand what a total derivative is to convert what you have into the Lagrangian form. If you need more help, let me know.

What are the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of fluids. They are named after Claude-Louis Navier and George Gabriel Stokes, who first derived them in the 19th century.

What is the significance of the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are fundamental to the study of fluid dynamics and have applications in various fields, including engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of fluids, such as air and water.

What are the assumptions made in the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations assume that fluids are continuous, incompressible, and Newtonian, meaning that their viscosity does not change with shear rate. They also assume that the fluid is subject to external forces, such as gravity or pressure.

Are the Navier-Stokes equations difficult to solve?

The Navier-Stokes equations are notoriously difficult to solve analytically, meaning that there is no exact solution that can be expressed in a closed form. Numerical methods are often used to approximate solutions, but this can be computationally intensive.

What is the current status of the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations remain an active area of research, with ongoing efforts to better understand their properties and improve numerical methods for solving them. They are also a topic of interest in the field of fluid mechanics, with numerous unsolved problems related to turbulence and boundary conditions.