Is my derivation of the Navier Stokes equation using Newton's second law valid?

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the Navier-Stokes equation from Newton's second law and the use of the divergence theorem to convert a surface integral to a volume integral. The correct equation using the divergence theorem is \iiint_V \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{V}) dV, and the component form is \nabla \cdot (\rho u_i \vec{V}), representing the contribution of the i^{th} component of velocity to the overall divergence.
member 428835
hey pf! can you tell me if this derivation sounds reasonable for the navier stokes equation, from Newtons second law into a partial differential equation.

i'm really just concerned with one part. specifically, i start the derivation with [itex]\Sigma F = ma[/itex]. I am comfortable with the force term but on the acceleration term I learned there are two ways to account for a change in momentum: boundary and volumetric change. i feel good on the volume term, but on the boundary term, i believe mass may leave through the boundary, yielding [tex]\iint_S (\rho \vec{V}) \cdot \vec{dS} \vec{V}[/tex] in order to maintain dimensionality through integration so we can obtain a partial differential equation it is necessary to convert this surface integral into a volume integral using the divergence theorem, yielding: [tex]\iiint_v \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{V}){dv} \vec{V}[/tex] and thus if i shrink volume i obtain [tex]\nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{V}) \vec{V}[/tex] but the text has, in component form, [tex]\nabla \cdot (\rho u_i \vec{V})[/tex] where [itex]u_i[/itex] is the [itex]i^{th}[/itex] component of velocity [itex] \vec{V}[/itex] but this seems wrong. shouldn't it be written [tex]\nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{V})u_i[/tex] please help me out here! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello, thank you for your question. Your derivation seems reasonable, but I would like to clarify a few points. Firstly, when converting the surface integral to a volume integral using the divergence theorem, the equation should be \iiint_V \nabla \cdot (\rho \vec{V}) dV, without the \vec{V} term at the end. This is because the divergence theorem states that the surface integral of a vector field is equal to the volume integral of its divergence. The \vec{V} term is already included in the vector field \rho \vec{V}.

Secondly, regarding the component form of the equation, it is correct to write \nabla \cdot (\rho u_i \vec{V}), as this represents the contribution of the i^{th} component of velocity to the overall divergence of the vector field. This is because the divergence of a vector field is a scalar quantity, so it is necessary to multiply by the velocity component to obtain the correct contribution.

I hope this helps clarify the derivation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do you know if your derivation of the Navier Stokes equation is valid?

The validity of a derivation of the Navier Stokes equation can be determined by checking if it satisfies the fundamental principles of fluid mechanics, such as conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. Additionally, the derivation should also be mathematically consistent and physically intuitive.

2. Can the Navier Stokes equation be derived using Newton's second law?

Yes, the Navier Stokes equation can be derived using Newton's second law, which states that the net force acting on a body is equal to the product of its mass and acceleration. However, the derivation process may involve additional assumptions and simplifications.

3. What are the limitations of using Newton's second law to derive the Navier Stokes equation?

One limitation is that Newton's second law only applies to non-relativistic systems, and thus, cannot be used to derive the Navier Stokes equation for high-speed flows. Additionally, the derivation may also neglect certain effects, such as viscous forces and compressibility.

4. Are there alternative ways to derive the Navier Stokes equation?

Yes, there are other approaches to derive the Navier Stokes equation, such as using the principles of continuum mechanics or statistical mechanics. Each method may have its own advantages and limitations, depending on the specific application.

5. Is it necessary to derive the Navier Stokes equation using Newton's second law?

No, it is not necessary to derive the Navier Stokes equation using Newton's second law. The equation can also be obtained from other fundamental principles, such as the conservation laws or the equations of motion for a continuum. However, using Newton's second law can provide a more intuitive understanding of the physical phenomena involved.