Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Navigation Problem

1. May 26, 2005 #1
    A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when an electrical malfunction disabled all the navigation and communications equipment. The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it, circled, drew a handwritten sign saying "Where am I?" and held it in the helicopter's window.

People in the tall building drew a large sign, and held it in a windows, "You are in a helicopter".

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the course to steer to Seatac airport and landed safely.

When his co-pilot asked how the sign had helped, the pilot responded, "I knew that had to be ---??--- building as they gave me a ----????----".

Fill in the missing parts of the pilots reply?

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2005 #2
    Was it "the math institute" (or similar) as they gave him "completely correct, yet completely useless answer"? :)))

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    Atrus you are correct - I would prefer the "Microsoft Building"

5. May 26, 2005 #4
    Well, I haven't been to Seattle (yet :) ) and haven't had any contact with any part of MS, so it haven't crossed my mind :)) I heard the variation of the riddle before, but it was more of a joke, with (I think) a guy in a ballon stopping shouting out to find out his location, and he meets a mathematician, a chemist and an engineer... or something. Don't know that joke anymore...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?