Pilot Solves Navigation Problem with Handwritten Sign

• Thread starter AntonVrba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Navigation
In summary, a helicopter pilot experienced an electrical malfunction while flying above Seattle. He saw a tall building and flew towards it, where people in the building held up a sign that read "You are in a helicopter." The pilot then used the building as a reference point to determine his location and successfully landed the helicopter at Seatac airport. When asked how the sign helped, he joked that it must have been the Microsoft Building as they gave him a completely correct, yet completely useless answer.
AntonVrba
A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when an electrical malfunction disabled all the navigation and communications equipment. The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it, circled, drew a handwritten sign saying "Where am I?" and held it in the helicopter's window.

People in the tall building drew a large sign, and held it in a windows, "You are in a helicopter".

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the course to steer to Seatac airport and landed safely.

When his co-pilot asked how the sign had helped, the pilot responded, "I knew that had to be ---??--- building as they gave me a ----?----".

Fill in the missing parts of the pilots reply?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AntonVrba said:
When his co-pilot asked how the sign had helped, the pilot responded, "I knew that had to be ---??--- building as they gave me a ----?----".

Fill in the missing parts of the pilots reply?

Was it "the math institute" (or similar) as they gave him "completely correct, yet completely useless answer"? :)))

Atrus you are correct - I would prefer the "Microsoft Building"

AntonVrba said:
Atrus you are correct - I would prefer the "Microsoft Building"

Well, I haven't been to Seattle (yet :) ) and haven't had any contact with any part of MS, so it haven't crossed my mind :)) I heard the variation of the riddle before, but it was more of a joke, with (I think) a guy in a balloon stopping shouting out to find out his location, and he meets a mathematician, a chemist and an engineer... or something. Don't know that joke anymore...

1. How did the pilot solve the navigation problem?

The pilot solved the navigation problem by using a handwritten sign to communicate with air traffic control and request directions.

2. What was the navigation problem that the pilot faced?

The pilot was facing a situation where their navigation equipment malfunctioned and they were unable to communicate with air traffic control or receive directions.

3. Was the use of a handwritten sign a common solution for pilots?

No, the use of a handwritten sign is not a common solution for pilots. It was a unique and creative solution in this particular situation.

4. How did the air traffic control respond to the pilot's handwritten sign?

The air traffic control responded by following the pilot's instructions and providing them with the necessary directions to safely navigate their flight.

5. Did the pilot's use of a handwritten sign affect the safety of the flight?

No, the pilot's use of a handwritten sign did not affect the safety of the flight. The pilot was able to successfully communicate with air traffic control and safely navigate their flight to their destination.