Cleveland Sports Heartbreaks: NBA Championship Series

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, Cleveland has a long history of sports heartbreak. Their mayors, players, and spectators have all had their share of embarrassments. The Cavs are up against it again this year as they are up against some tough competition.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yet another opportunity to add to Cleveland's long list of heartbreaks.

Cleveland Sports Heartbreaks

The only question is what new bizarre way they'll come up with to lose.

The last time Cleveland won a championship in any sport was 1964 when Jim Brown was playing for the Browns (and Paul Brown was still coaching the Browns).

Their sports misery pretty much follows the other miseries of the city. In 1960, Cleveland was the 8th largest city in the US with a population of 876,000 people. By July 2005, the population was 452,000 people.

Their list of mayors is rather bizarre, as well. In the 70's their mayor (Ralph Perk) accidently set his hair on fire with a blowtorch. His successor (Dennis Kucinich) suffered the embarrassment of giving a law and order speech on one side of town while his brother was robbing a liquor store on the other side of town (it was the era of embarrassing brothers, I guess - Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy, was quite a character, as well).

The article neglects to mention how Ted Stepien celebrated buying the Cavaliers. He threw softballs off of the tallest building in Cleveland that players from a softball team he owned were supposed to catch. He failed to account for the wind and spectators and cars wound up being pelted by the softballs, instead. The incident was the inspiration for the WKRP Thanksgiving episode.

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: Ouch!

BobG said:
Yet another opportunity to add to Cleveland's long list of heartbreaks.

Well, I'm cheering my heart out for LeBron anyway. There's nothing not to love about that guy. He's so positive and supportive of his teammates. I read a great article about him a few days ago in which the author argued very well that he's the antithesis of Kobe Bryant. I couldn't agree more.

The incident was the inspiration for the WKRP Thanksgiving episode.

Best. Episode. Ever. This past Thanksgiving I YouTubed that episode in celebration.

"With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
The thread title is NBA championships series, so my little tale should not be to far off topic.

It was just 30yrs ago that I was sitting on the floor of Oregon State's Gill Coliseum waiting to receive my BS in Physics. We were listening to Pres. McVicar's speech over the main loud speakers while in every other seat on the floor and in the audience someone had a radio tuned to the Blazers Championship game. Pres McVicar was forced to pause and acknowledge the victory, which occurred mid speech.

Needless to say the Blazers have not yet repeated.

The Bulls took Championship #1 the night of my high school graduation. It was also publicly acknowledged.

As I recall the Bulls got more applause from the parents than we did. :cry:

What are the most heartbreaking moments in Cleveland's history in the NBA Championship Series?

The most heartbreaking moments for Cleveland in the NBA Championship Series include the team's loss against the Golden State Warriors in 2015, where they came close to winning their first championship but ultimately fell short. Another memorable heartbreak was in 2018 when the Cleveland Cavaliers were swept by the Warriors in the finals.

Why is the 2016 NBA Championship win by the Cleveland Cavaliers considered a historic moment?

The 2016 NBA Championship win by the Cleveland Cavaliers is considered historic because it marked the first time in the franchise's history that they won a championship. It was also the first time in NBA history that a team came back from a 3-1 deficit in the finals to win the championship.

What impact did LeBron James have on Cleveland's NBA Championship Series history?

LeBron James had a significant impact on Cleveland's NBA Championship Series history. He led the team to the finals in four consecutive years (2015-2018) and helped them win their first championship in 2016. His return to Cleveland in 2014 sparked a resurgence in the team's performance and brought hope to the city.

How have the Cleveland Cavaliers managed to bounce back after heartbreaking losses in the NBA Championship Series?

The Cleveland Cavaliers have managed to bounce back after heartbreaking losses in the NBA Championship Series by making strategic changes to their roster and coaching staff. They have also shown resilience and determination, never giving up even when facing tough competition. The leadership of players like LeBron James and Kyrie Irving has also played a crucial role in the team's ability to bounce back.

What does the future look like for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Championship Series?

The future for the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Championship Series is uncertain. After LeBron James' departure in 2018, the team has struggled to maintain their success in the finals. However, with a young and talented roster, there is potential for the team to make a comeback and compete for another championship in the future.

Back