Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NBA Championship Series

1. Jun 8, 2007 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yet another opportunity to add to Cleveland's long list of heartbreaks.

Cleveland Sports Heartbreaks

The only question is what new bizarre way they'll come up with to lose.

The last time Cleveland won a championship in any sport was 1964 when Jim Brown was playing for the Browns (and Paul Brown was still coaching the Browns).

Their sports misery pretty much follows the other miseries of the city. In 1960, Cleveland was the 8th largest city in the US with a population of 876,000 people. By July 2005, the population was 452,000 people.

Their list of mayors is rather bizarre, as well. In the 70's their mayor (Ralph Perk) accidently set his hair on fire with a blowtorch. His successor (Dennis Kucinich) suffered the embarrassment of giving a law and order speech on one side of town while his brother was robbing a liquor store on the other side of town (it was the era of embarrassing brothers, I guess - Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy, was quite a character, as well).

The article neglects to mention how Ted Stepien celebrated buying the Cavaliers. He threw softballs off of the tallest building in Cleveland that players from a softball team he owned were supposed to catch. He failed to account for the wind and spectators and cars wound up being pelted by the softballs, instead. The incident was the inspiration for the WKRP Thanksgiving episode.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2007 #2
    :rofl: Ouch!

4. Jun 8, 2007 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I'm cheering my heart out for LeBron anyway. There's nothing not to love about that guy. He's so positive and supportive of his teammates. I read a great article about him a few days ago in which the author argued very well that he's the antithesis of Kobe Bryant. I couldn't agree more.

Best. Episode. Ever. This past Thanksgiving I YouTubed that episode in celebration.

"With God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  5. Jun 8, 2007 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thread title is NBA championships series, so my little tale should not be to far off topic.

It was just 30yrs ago that I was sitting on the floor of Oregon State's Gill Coliseum waiting to receive my BS in Physics. We were listening to Pres. McVicar's speech over the main loud speakers while in every other seat on the floor and in the audience someone had a radio tuned to the Blazers Championship game. Pres McVicar was forced to pause and acknowledge the victory, which occurred mid speech.

Needless to say the Blazers have not yet repeated.

6. Jun 8, 2007 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Bulls took Championship #1 the night of my high school graduation. It was also publicly acknowledged.

As I recall the Bulls got more applause from the parents than we did. :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?