New NBA Playoff Rules: How Did the Bulls Get Home Court Advantage?

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home Rules
In summary, the rule that determined who hosted game 1 of the second round changed from the 2-2-1-1-1 format to the 2-2-1 format. The higher seeded team hosts game 1 of the second round.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Who's watching the playoffs? Who are you rooting for? My Bulls are exciting again, so after many years of not caring about the NBA, my interest is piqued again. It's been so long since I've paid attention to the playoffs (I started watching again last year), that it seems there must have been a rule change or two since I last tuned in. Specifically, I'm talking about the rules governing home court advantage in the playoffs. The Bulls are seeded 5th, and the Heat are seeded 4th. Yet the Bulls got home court advantage (and are rocking Miami's world in the process! :cool: ). Up until at least 2000, the higher seeded team always got home court advantage. What gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hockey guy here, but I started getting into the NBA because of the Raptors and Nash.

I want the Suns to win the Championship, the Raptors to play well in first round but not necessarily move up. That's realistic for the Raptors right now, and hopefully make the playoffs again which I think they will.

I want the Warriors to knock out Dallas.

I want the Pistons to have a hard time, but obviously it's easy for them.

Anyways, basketball is fun to watch.

Tom Mattson said:
Who's watching the playoffs? Who are you rooting for? My Bulls are exciting again, so after many years of not caring about the NBA, my interest is piqued again. It's been so long since I've paid attention to the playoffs (I started watching again last year), that it seems there must have been a rule change or two since I last tuned in. Specifically, I'm talking about the rules governing home court advantage in the playoffs. The Bulls are seeded 5th, and the Heat are seeded 4th. Yet the Bulls got home court advantage (and are rocking Miami's world in the process! :cool: ). Up until at least 2000, the higher seeded team always got home court advantage. What gives?

I think it's based on points now and that seeded positions only mean whether or not you make the playoffs.

SA v TOR final...if TOR gets there act together.

GS over DAL
PH over LAL
HOU over UTA
CHI over MIA

i would like to cheer for grant hill...but i guess his allstar days are over.

OK. I am completely confused now. The second round has started, and the Bulls hosted Game 1 vs the Pistons, who got incredibly lucky :biggrin:. Now I'm reading that Detroit is hosting Game 2. What gives? Obviously the 2-2-1-1-1 format has changed, but what's it changed into? How is it determined who hosts which game these days? :confused:

i'm not a hardcore sports fan but i do root for nash, he looks out of place being a short white guy but he has skills, all net.

I'm rooting for both Phoenix and San Antonio :cry: .

I was rooting also for Toronto and Houston :cry: .

Edit: I was rooting for Tampa Bay in the NHL playoffs :cry: .

Last edited:

1. How are home court advantage determined in the NBA playoffs?

Home court advantage in the NBA playoffs is determined by a team's regular season record. The team with the better record in the regular season is given home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

2. Did the Bulls have the best regular season record in the NBA?

No, the Bulls did not have the best regular season record in the NBA. The Golden State Warriors finished the regular season with the best record, giving them home court advantage throughout the playoffs.

3. Did the Bulls have a better record than their playoff opponents?

Yes, the Bulls had a better regular season record than their playoff opponents, the Milwaukee Bucks. This is why they were given home court advantage in their first round series.

4. Are there any other factors that determine home court advantage in the NBA playoffs?

No, the regular season record is the only factor that determines home court advantage in the NBA playoffs. In the event of a tie in regular season records, tiebreakers are used to determine home court advantage.

5. How many games are played at home for the team with home court advantage?

In a best-of-seven series, the team with home court advantage will play a maximum of four games at home (Games 1, 2, 5, and 7). The other three games will be played at the opponent's home court.