1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nbsp bug!

1. Jul 13, 2005 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack! Stupid non breaking spaces!

I found a bug:

Suppose I include a non-breaking space (& nbsp ;) into one of my posts, such as the one seen here: →   .

Now, I follow this procedure:

I edit the post, and then submit it without any changes.

The nonbreaking space turns into an asterisk, as shown here: → * .

(I applied this procedure to this post, BTW, though I re-entered the code for the first nonbreaking space)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

ExperimentExperimentExperimentExperimentExperiment5 ExperimentExperimentExperimentExperiment9Experiment10ExperimentExperiment12 ExperimentExperiment

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  4. Jul 13, 2005 #3

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Maybe & #160 ; works. Yes, it seems to work, but the source code still looks funny. Hm, apparently it doesn't work. Okay, well, it at least stays a space- I just can't tell if it breaks or not- spaces are put in automatically for some reason.? Okay, it works the first time, but afterward shows up as a regular space.

I remember having a similar problem with some other code, but I can't remember what it was. Anywho, I don't know if the non-breaking space in unicode is different, but using the unicode code fixed the problem before, even though unicode doesn't automatically work in IE (of course :rolleyes: ).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  5. Jul 14, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

What the hell is a 'non-breaking space'?
    (Sorry, but you 2 seemed way too content just being off in this thread by yourselves.)

6. Jul 14, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Good, I was feeling rather lonely here. I suspect you already know (aren't you a writer?), but a non-breaking space just doesn't allow a line break. :rolleyes: If I want to type O U C H ! but don't want part of it to end up getting wrapped to the next line, like O U C
    H ! , then instead of putting normal spaces between each letter, I put non-breaking spaces between each letter so they all stay on the same line. :smile:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  7. Jul 14, 2005 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Danger: Try   putting   lots   of   space   between   words   like   this.

8. Jul 14, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

If that's what you want to do, in the meantime, you can use white text, like------so.

9. Jul 14, 2005 #8

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

or you could just use the
    [ code ]

[ /code ]

tags

10. Jul 17, 2005 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Nope. Sorry. The only word processors that I've used are Atariwriter and Word Perfect 5 (and TED, about 25 years ago when I used to sneak into the basement of the Math building at U of C and steal a few hours on Multix in the middle of the night). As far as I know, none has that feature. The closest that I'm familiar with is a code which suppresses auto-hyphenation on a by-the-word basis. My beloved WP5 won't run on my even-more beloved Mac, so I'm stuck with MS Word. Unfortunately, since it came with the computer I don't have a manual. I've wondered about it a bit on this thing that we're using right now, because I get quite irritated when a smilie ends up on a line by itself. Are there instructions for this somewhere?

11. Jul 17, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I've only used Word and found it adequate. I sort of even like Word. :redface: I don't know if you're asking about Word or PF, so...
    To insert a non-breaking space in Word, click on the Insert menu > select Symbol > click the Special Characters tab > highlight nonbreaking space in the list > click the Insert button. There are various shortcuts if you use it often.

To insert a non-breaking space in PF, I guess there's at least two options.
    You can type & # 1 6 0 ; without the spaces wherever you want the space to appear.
    For example:
    witty remark& # 1 6 0 ;:smile:
    Result:
    witty remark :smile:
    But the non-breaking space turns into a regular space when it's "cycled through" or whatever a second time, as when you edit, preview, or quote.
    A little more trouble, but would always work- type [color = white]-[/ color] without the spaces wherever you want the space to appear.
    For example:
    witty remark[color = white]-[/ color]:smile:
    Result:
    witty remark-:smile:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  12. Jul 18, 2005 #11

Danger

Gold Member

We all have our shameful secrets. :tongue:
    Thanks for the tips, Rosie. It was PF that I was asking about, but the info about Word will probably come in handy some time.

13. Jul 18, 2005 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None of the codes anyone has suggested have ever worked for me from a Mac. I'll give yours a try though. For some reason, PF doesn't "see" the code the same when it's sent from my mac as when it is sent from a     PC. (I just inserted three spaces before "PC" with the code you listed above...lets see if they appear as nothing or as question marks or asterisks, or *gulp* spaces!).

14. Jul 19, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Woo hoo! They're spaces! Or they are for me. But "a---PC" should have stayed on the same line. :frown:
    I don't know very much about the whole thing. I just learned enough to write some html and xhtml. Every character has a numeric code and some have name codes (ex. nbsp, amp). If you need or want to use the code, you enclose it in an ampersand and semicolon: & nbsp ;. If it's a numeric code, you put a hash in front of the numbers: & # 160 ;. But there are different character sets, so it gets more complicated. :yuck: Plus, on PF, the text in the text box goes through other doohickies that I know nothing about. :)

But I can still write "Moonie" in ISO-8859-1, using the numberic codes. M-77, o-111, n-110, i-105, e-101: Moonie. It should work for you too.

If you're running Windows, you can use the Character Map (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map).

15. Jul 19, 2005 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, they're spaces for me too :biggrin:, but "a      PC" ended up in the middle of a line for me, so I couldn't see if it would break or not. That's okay, I don't often need non-breaking spaces, but sometimes just being able to add extra spaces is something I want to do for emphasis or to get something aligned correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?