1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nd:YAG pulsed laser calculations

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    Hi

I have a power meter that measures a Nd:YAG laser intensity with 20 pulses per second as 200 mW. The pulsewidth is 5 ns and I have information relating to the diameter and wavelength of the beam as 3mm and 216 nm, respectively. I also have an expression the intensity or power of the beam as a function of time i.e. I(t) = C exp(-t/pulsewidth), where C is the peak power density.

I have used the equations of E = Pavg(average power)/PRR(pulse repetition rate) to get the power of each pulse.

For the calculation of the peak power density i.e. the C -term in the function representing intensity as a function of time, I need to find that value of I, which corresponds to a peak power value of the beam during it's pulsing. So for peak power, I think it's Pmax = Pavg/DC(duty cycle). So with this max intensity value, I should be able to obtain the peak power density by substituting into I = Cf(t) but what value do I use for time in the expression and since it's peak power density in W.m-2, I suppose the 3mm diameter of the beam gets factored in somehow ?? Do I also need to use the wavelength of the laser in the calculations ?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?