Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NE on the graduate level

  1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    Hey guys, I am almost a junior electrical engineer, and I was wondering if it would be possible to go to graduate school for nuclear engineering? Are there any cross-over fields that would work? I'm pretty interested in NE, and never really thought about majoring in it. As a result, I went to a university that does not offer NE. Also, since I will be a junior, it's really too late to transfer. I'm also happy as an EE major; I'm very interested in the subject matter.

    As far as I can tell, the mathematics are the same for both disciplines. On the other hand, NE's would probably take different physics classes than I have taken, as well as having some more chemistry than I do.

    So, would it be possible to crossover?

  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    For nuclear engineers, there are courses in subjects like nuclear reactor physics and nuclear reactor/plant design. In addition, nuclear engineers take a number of mechanical engineering courses on subject such as fluid flow and heat transfer, because after all, the primary objective is to convert nuclear energy into usable/useful electrical energy.

    As a graduate student, you would probably need to take an intro course in nuclear reactor theory. It would help if you have had a course such as nuclear physics so that you understand radioactivity.

    There are also courses in radiation and health physics which you might find interesting with your background in electrical engineering. Radiation detection and monitoring is accomplished by interaction of radiation with a detector (materials science) and the subsequent processing of a signal by electronics, which provide control and analysis of the process.
  4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    I do not think many chemistry classes are required, so I doubt you have to worry about that problem. I have looked at my required curriculum and I have to take only general chemistry.
  5. Apr 7, 2005 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor


    I wouldn't skimp on the Chemistry. The curriculum at many schools
    require courses in Nuclear Chemical Engineering - reprocessing technology,
    enrichment technology... [ I still have yet to get a good handle on a SWU;
    Separative Work Unit ].

    Dr. Gregory Greenman
  6. Apr 7, 2005 #5
    I will make a note of that, reprocessing definetly seems like an important subject.
  7. Apr 7, 2005 #6
    Err...maybe I don't really have a shot at doing NE at the graduate level...

    I'd need to take like 10 undergraduate courses before I'd be ready for the graduate courses. It doesn't seem like it's very easy to go between engineering disciplines in the transition from undergraduate to graduate studies.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook