Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Near death

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    What is the closest you have come to dying?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2
    When a M&M bag got stuck in the vending machine.
    I came back and it was gone. Someone got an extra bag of M&Ms!:mad:
    I've never been the same since.

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    Once I was driving to Fresno on a very cold day, my car got into black ice, at a speed of 65mph. I was skidding almost 10 seconds. There was an 18-wheel truck in front of me. The distance between us reduced from 10 meter, 5 meter, 3 meter and upto 1 meter. All I could do was just watch me floating in the ice. Luckily I skidded out of the freeway and got control. Weird thing is, once you are in black ice, when you finally get control back, you have no clue what direction the wheels are turned into. Mine was into the freeway again - another 4 lane changes in 0.1 seconds.

That evening, I learned everything I could learn about black ice. I've never been to Fresno after that.

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4
    I've been hit by cars twice while on foot (and in a crosswalk no less). I only injured my knee the first time and the second I don't think I was really any more than bruised but those are the only sever accidents I have been in.

Other than that I once had someone throw a liter bottle full of water at my head while speeding past in a vehicle. Had it only been a foot or so lower it would have hit me right in the face and I have often wondered just how much damage that could have caused. At the time I was rather angry thinking that it could well have killed me.

6. Sep 29, 2009 #5
    I moved into a new house when I was 8 years old. Before we got our stuff in, there was a new kitchen cabinet set being assembled. In particular, there was a very narrow pantry storage cabinet that was 2 ft across, by 8 ft tall, and it was standing in the middle of the living room.

I opened it up, and at the bottom lay a manual, so got on my knees, and stuck my head inside to get it. Then I felt the cabinet tip with my head inside it. Luckily my dad was 5 ft away on a ladder screwing in a light bulb, and quickly got up and caught the cabinet in a split second before decapitating my head.

7. Sep 29, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Flailing in the water, trying to climb on a log at about four years old.

Frankly, many times we all probably have come a lot closer to death in our daily lives than we think without realizing it...

8. Sep 29, 2009 #7
    I thought my heart stopped beating once. Oh wait, there it goes. Wait, it's stopped again.

There was this one time when I was in Mexico and this guy told me he had been planning to mug me. I thought he was so kind I bought him breakfast and gave him a few bucks for helping me carry my stuff. No kidding.

9. Sep 29, 2009 #8
    I once had a severe allergic reaction to, of all things, an allergy shot. All it took was a shot of epinephrine but interesting experience none the less.

10. Sep 29, 2009 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

My wife is allergic to albumen - the vehicle in which most shots (including the flu shot) are delivered.

11. Sep 29, 2009 #10
    Have you told this story before? Its very very familiar and I just had a massive sense of deja vu.

12. Sep 29, 2009 #11
    yes. I remember him telling this before. 'decapitating' was a catchy word.

13. Sep 29, 2009 #12

turbo

Gold Member

My wife had bought some "authentic" cajun seasoning and used it to make a hearty stew one night while I was working. The next morning, I had a big bowl of that stew for breakfast, then headed to a mill in Lincoln. I just about got to the mill and realized that I was "out of it". Apparently, a main ingredient in "authentic" cajun seasoning is MSG, and I was having a very severe reaction. Somehow, I found my way to the hospital there and got to the door of the ER. They bundled me into a wheelchair and got me to the ICU. The doctor asked why I was sick and I told her "MSG" then said "epinephrine". She asked If I had taken anything for the reaction and I told her "Benadryl" (all one-word answers - I was in sad shape). A nurse was monitoring my BP and pulse and she told the doctor my BP was dropping fast, but the doctor did nothing. Finally, the nurse hollered some impossibly-low numbers like 20 over 15 and said "Epinephrine STAT! We're losing him!) The doctor gave me a quick shot of epinephrine and (at some point) put me on a drip, but all I remember of that session was the doctor and two nurses restraining me through seemingly endless and violent convulsions. Eventually, I passed out, and only "came to" sometime in mid-afternoon. When I came around, the doctor was sitting at my bed-side and she was crying. She said "I'm SO sorry." and left me to the nurses. I have never been so sore in my whole life. I felt like every muscle in my body had been pounded with a baseball bat. They had me on all kinds of monitors for a couple more hours, and it wasn't until early evening that I was stable enough to be released.

I had an Epi-pen in my backpack, but hadn't thrown it in my car that day. That mistake (and the misfortune of being treated by a doctor that didn't think an MSG-sensitive person could die of anaphylactic shock) nearly cost me my life. It's sad that doctors are aware of anaphylactic shock with triggers like seafood, peanuts, bee-stings, etc, but can be blissfully unaware of less-common triggers and wait and do nothing while somebody is dying before their eyes. Luckily, the nurse was experienced and on her toes.

14. Sep 29, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

OK, turbo-1 wins.

15. Sep 29, 2009 #14
    I was on an airplane that was taking off when its engine caught on fire. I thought I'd be "done for" when the flames flared up a second time (and I was on the side with the engine problem).. but turned on my teacher-mode... instructing everyone to read their emergency information. It actually was pretty fun later on... we got to use those emergency blow-up slides!

16. Sep 29, 2009 #15
    My appendix exploded.

17. Sep 29, 2009 #16
    I've heard that's the most painful stomach problem one can have. But it's not life threatening, right?

18. Sep 29, 2009 #17
    Very. Thats why they remove it when you get appendicitis.

19. Sep 29, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I'm here. That was a clear win.

When I came around, a nurse asked if I wanted to call anybody. I didn't want to call my wife and tell her that I was in an ICU under constant supervision, so I called the receptionist at the paper mill (a really sweet older lady) told her what had happened, and asked her to call my wife and tell her that I was going to be held up for a while (true!). She said that if the hospital didn't want to release me without a driver, to call her at home, and she and her husband would come get me and shuttle my car and me back home (probably a 3-4 hour project for them). I got released on my own recognizance by early evening, but you'd better believe that sweet lady got a bouquet of roses at work the next day, and a nice box of chocolates on my next visit to the plant.

20. Sep 29, 2009 #19
    I plugged 2 keys into a power outlet when I was 2~3 (after seeing my dad plug them into car ignition). I don't even remember it, but I have scars on my hands, and apparently I refused to sleep alone for 3 days?

21. Sep 29, 2009 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Once, I was on what I thought was good rock, traversing a cliff about 15 meters high (rocks and surf below) when it gave out under me. As I slid down I instinctively went into spread-eagle position.

I still don't know how I stopped sliding after about 2 meters. It was a bit tricky getting off the cliff but I lived to tell about it, obviously :smile:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook