Near field path loss with attenuation

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the maximum distance between the antennas in this scenario, we need to use the path loss equation and the attenuation equation. By solving for the power output of the wireless cards using the attenuation equation, we can then use that value in the path loss equation to find the path loss due to the attenuation. Adding this value to the path loss due to the antennas, we can calculate the total path loss and use it to find the maximum distance between the antennas.
theTimes

Homework Statement

I have a 2 wireless cards with a power output of 0dBm, two 5dBi gain antennas, and a 30dB attenuator connected to each antenna. I need to figure out what the path loss will be in this scenario, so I can therefore determine the maximum distance possible between the antennas before they can no longer receive each other's signal.

Homework Equations

I know path loss in dB:

L = 20 log_10(4 * π *d / λ)

this one I can use to find the max distance once I know L, but I don't know how to find the path loss due to the attenuation in the first place.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know attenuation is:

= 10 * log_10(power out/ power in)

so

30 dB = 10 * log(power out/ odBm)

How can I find power out from here?

And how could I use that in the path loss equation?

Thank you for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

To determine the path loss in this scenario, you will need to use both the path loss equation and the attenuation equation. First, let's find the power output of the wireless cards with the given information.

From the attenuation equation, we can rearrange it to solve for power out:

power out = power in * 10^(attenuation/10)

Substituting the given values, we get:

power out = 0dBm * 10^(30/10) = 1000mW

Now, we can use this value of power out in the path loss equation to find the path loss due to the attenuation:

L_attenuation = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) - 20*log10(1000mW) = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) - 60dB

Next, we can calculate the path loss due to the antennas using the gain of 5dBi:

L_antennas = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) + 5dBi = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) + 7dB

Finally, we can calculate the total path loss by adding the two values:

L_total = L_attenuation + L_antennas = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) - 60dB + 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) + 7dB = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) - 53dB

Now, we can use this value of path loss in the original equation to find the maximum distance between the antennas:

L_total = 20*log10(4*π*d/λ) - 53dB

Solving for d, we get:

d = 10^(L_total/20 - 53/20)*λ/4*π = 10^(L_total/20 - 2.65)*λ/4*π

Therefore, the maximum distance between the antennas is:

d = 10^(L_total/20 - 2.65)*λ/4*π

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations.

1. What is near field path loss with attenuation?

Near field path loss with attenuation refers to the decrease in signal strength that occurs when a radio wave travels through the near field region of an antenna. This is caused by the combination of attenuation, which is the natural decrease in signal strength over distance, and the near field effect, which is the interference and reflections that occur in the close proximity to the antenna.

2. How is near field path loss with attenuation different from far field path loss?

Near field path loss with attenuation is different from far field path loss because it occurs in the near field region, which is the area close to the antenna where the signal is still being shaped and directed. Far field path loss, on the other hand, occurs in the far field region, which is further away from the antenna and where the signal has already spread out.

3. What factors affect near field path loss with attenuation?

There are several factors that can affect near field path loss with attenuation. These include the distance between the transmitting and receiving antennas, the antenna gain, the frequency of the signal, the polarization of the signal, and the presence of any obstacles or reflective surfaces in the near field region.

4. How can near field path loss with attenuation be minimized?

To minimize near field path loss with attenuation, it is important to optimize the antenna design and placement. This includes selecting an antenna with a high gain, using the appropriate frequency and polarization for the application, and minimizing any obstacles or reflective surfaces in the near field region. Additionally, using signal amplifiers and repeaters can also help to minimize path loss.

5. Why is it important to consider near field path loss with attenuation?

Near field path loss with attenuation is important to consider because it can significantly impact the performance of wireless communication systems. It can cause signal degradation, leading to dropped calls, poor data transmission, and reduced coverage range. By understanding and accounting for near field path loss with attenuation, engineers can design more efficient and reliable wireless systems.