1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Near-Horizon Metric

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    I am reading this article http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0404008 on general Kerr-de Sitter metrics.
    It seems to be obvious, but I cant see the reason behind the statement that authors make after Equation 4.2 that "As the horizon is approached, the right-hand side of (4.2) approaches zero."
    I would be appreciative if somebody could help me with this issue.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    You might try Wikipedia for a clue,,,
    Kerr Solution or Kerr Neumann Metric..

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    thank you for the tip but if you look at the Boyer-Lindquist form #(4.1), you see that it is quite general and i think their statement is somehow related to the fact that the horizon is a null hypersurface. yet i dont know the 'how' part :)

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4
  6. Nov 19, 2008 #5
    I must be hanged for not seeing the simple fact that when the metric has the given Lewis form (4.1) if you move to the rotating reference frame, then the near-horizon condition "RHS of Eqn. 4.2 approaches zero" will be obvious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?