Near IR, how do you see lines?

• Thread starter rp895
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ir Lines
In summary, Near IR (near-infrared) is a region of the electromagnetic spectrum with wavelengths from 700 nm to 1400 nm, just beyond the visible spectrum. It is commonly used in scientific research for spectroscopy, imaging, and sensing purposes. Compared to other regions of the electromagnetic spectrum, Near IR is less affected by scattering and absorption and is non-ionizing, making it safer for living cells. Spectroscopy techniques can be used to see lines in Near IR, which correspond to the presence of specific compounds or elements. Practical applications of Near IR technology include food and agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and environmental monitoring. It is used to analyze food products, identify counterfeit drugs, and detect pollutants in the air and water.
rp895
Hi,
Quick spectroscopy question: Say I am looking at the sun with a near IR /IR spectrometer? I know there is H2 and He in the sun, and I assume I will see their spectral lines? If true, how come I see that, and the signal is not drowned by the heat from the sun? (since it is so hot, using stefan-boltzman law, i can determine energy, etc etc)
Thanks
rp895

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The lines you will see are absorption lines (dark) from the cooler matter near the surface. The background spectrum is continuous and bright.

1. What is Near IR?

Near IR, or near-infrared, is a region of the electromagnetic spectrum that is just beyond the visible spectrum. It has wavelengths ranging from 700 nanometers (nm) to 1400 nm.

2. How is Near IR used in scientific research?

Near IR is used in a variety of scientific research, including spectroscopy, imaging, and sensing. It is particularly useful for studying the chemical composition of materials and for mapping the distribution of certain compounds.

3. What are the benefits of using Near IR over other regions of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Near IR has several advantages over other regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is less affected by scattering and absorption, making it easier to obtain accurate measurements. It is also non-ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to cause damage to living cells.

4. How do you see lines in Near IR?

Lines in Near IR can be seen using spectroscopy techniques. This involves passing a beam of Near IR light through a sample and measuring the absorption or emission of specific wavelengths. The resulting spectrum will show distinct peaks or dips, which correspond to the presence of certain compounds or elements.

5. What are some practical applications of Near IR technology?

Near IR technology has a wide range of practical applications, including food and agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and environmental monitoring. It is used to analyze the composition of food products, identify counterfeit drugs, and detect pollutants in the air and water.