Near Light Velocity: Can Distances Shorten & Universe Appear Flattened?

In summary, the distances between all objects in front and in back of you would shorten causing the universe to appear to flatten out like a disk from your perspective. However, it can also be interpreted that if you are moving with respect to both of the objects, they would appear to get closer together.
duordi
If I attained a speed close to the speed of light the distances between all objects in front and in back of me would shorten causing the universe to appear to flatten out like a disk from my perspective.

Is this true?

On the other hand I have heard that the universe would seem to converge in front of me.

Can these both be true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well,it really depends on your direction of relative velocity.Say ur going past an object with relative velocity only in the x direction.Then you would see that if the proper length of the object is [tex]L_0[/tex] and ur relative velocity is [tex]\vec v[/tex] then

the length [tex]L[/tex] perceived by you will be

[tex]L_0_x=\frac{L_x}{\sqrt{1-{v^2/c^2}}}[/tex]

Last edited:
If I have a velocity with respect to objects B and C.
When B and C have no velocity with respect to each other would they appear to get closer together?
Would the distance between them seem to shorten to me because of my velocity?

It seems you are saying yes.

You have to be a bit careful to distinguish between what you see with your naked eyes, and what you measure (after taking into account propagation delays).

Both of your statements are true under diffrerent interpretations of your question. See for instance http://www.exo.net/~pauld/stars/PD_images_relativ.html for the visual appearance of "convergence to a point". (It is apparently taken from http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1979AmJPh..47..309M

You might also want to read about "Terrell rotation" as far as visual appearances go, for instance in the sci.physics.faq "Can you see the Lorentz contraction"

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/penrose.html

Last edited by a moderator:
yes if U are moving with respect to both of them.And if YOU are measuring the length between them while you are moving

I remember I watched once simulation on the internet as how environment appears to the observer when he/she travels at velocity near c.
I don't know of site URL any more but I remember it was damn cool to watch.

1. Can objects actually travel at near light velocity?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light. However, they can approach it, reaching speeds of 99.99% of the speed of light.

2. Will distances shorten when traveling at near light velocity?

Yes, according to the theory of relativity, objects traveling at near light velocity will experience length contraction, meaning that distances will appear shorter in the direction of motion.

3. How does near light velocity affect time?

According to the theory of relativity, time will also appear to slow down for objects traveling at near light velocity. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

4. Can we observe this flattening of the universe from Earth?

No, the flattening of the universe due to near light velocity can only be observed at very large scales, such as the scale of the entire universe. On smaller scales, such as the scale of our solar system, the effects are negligible.

5. Could near light velocity travel allow for time travel?

There is currently no scientific evidence or theory that suggests near light velocity travel could allow for time travel. The theory of relativity states that while time may appear to slow down for objects traveling at near light velocity, it is still moving forward in a linear fashion.