1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nearest Neighbour Analysis

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    Hi!
    Does anyone know how the mathematics behind the Nearest Neighbour Analysis/Index work?
    It is used in biology and geography and shows the dispersion of for example plants or shoe-shops.
    /Andreas

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2
    i dunno but this sounds vaguely familiar with clustering ...
    are u talking abt clustering ??

-- AI

4. Oct 15, 2004 #3
    Yes it is about clustering...
    You have an area, A, in which you have a number of points, n. For every point you measure the distance to its nearest neighbour. Then you calculate the mean nearest neighbour distance, d.
    Then you use the formula NNI=2d*square-root(n/A)
    Values for NNI close to 0 means clustered distribution, around 1 random distribution and close to the maximum value 2,15 uniform distribution.
    I do not understand why 2.15 is the largest value you can get and why a value of 1 indicates a random distribution.
    Anyone that knows? I would bwe thakful if you helped me...
    /Andreas

5. Oct 17, 2004 #4
    I have not done much of NNI .....
    But as i see ur formula for NNI , i thought of doing a bit of reverse engineering .....

case > clustered points
    If we set n and A as constant, then it may be shown that d = radius of a cluster
    So it gets pretty intuitive, as to why if NNI -> 0 , would mean high clustering since NNI>0 means radii of cluster is reducing thereby increased clustering ...

Doing a bit more of this,
    we may come to a conclusion that
    NNI for cluster < NNI for random < NNI for uniform

However the values of 1 and 2.15 don't seem to come up anywhere throughout ....
    So i feel they are statistical limits and not theoretical ones ....
    I may be wrong , but i just thought if i am wrong , it may generate counter arguments ....

-- AI

6. Aug 2, 2011 #5
    The upper limit comes from an observation that in the plane hexagonal spacing (each point has six equidistant neighbours) maximizes the distance between neighbours for a given density. You can read about it in this reference:

"Distance to Nearest Neighbour as a Measure of Spatial Relationships in Populations"

Clark and Evans, Ecology, Vol 35. No 4, 1954.

They also refer to earlier work by Hertz in 1909. The appendix gives a derivation of this measure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?