Nearly five months have passed since graduating college and still I do....

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the goal of the check-list is to help you find a job you truly enjoy. Make sure you are not biasing the answers to try to make reality conform to your goals.
Eclair_de_XII
not know what to do with my life. I mean, I have a modest job right now, so I'm doing something with my life at the present, but not much. But I cannot help but feel like some sort of insomniac compulsively watching their alarm clock late at night when I count the months that have passed since graduation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Time for a self evaluation:

What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What do you like to do? Why?
What do you not like to do? Why?
What are your priorities with respect to interesting job vs making money?
What are your priorities with respect to where you live vs making money?
What are your priorities with respect to ethics vs making money (are you willing to lie, cheat, or steal to get a better job?)
You will figure out more questions after you get started.

Give yourself a half hour per day to work on it. Set aside time every day with no disturbances - no TV, no music, no video games, phone off, no visitors. Expect to take several months if you want to do it right.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and russ_watters
jrmichler said:
Time for a self evaluation:

What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
What do you like to do? Why?
What do you not like to do? Why?
What are your priorities with respect to interesting job vs making money?
What are your priorities with respect to where you live vs making money?
What are your priorities with respect to ethics vs making money (are you willing to lie, cheat, or steal to get a better job?)
You will figure out more questions after you get started.

Give yourself a half hour per day to work on it. Set aside time every day with no disturbances - no TV, no music, no video games, phone off, no visitors. Expect to take several months if you want to do it right.
Great assessment template. If I might add:
Is what you like to do a potential hobby, job, or both/either?

Likes BillTre
An old saying attributed to different authors has relevance in assessing one's life goals:
No matter what you do, you will regret it.

IOW do not let doubt and past mistakes hold you back. Learn from them. Every important decision comes with regrets, particularly the path unwalked, the challenge left untried. Completing an education level gives you tools and templates but leaves planning and decision making to you.

Likes Bystander and BillTre
You know, I don't think I'm doing this check-list correctly. Each of the three times I have done the check-list, I have had a tendency to diverge from the goal of focusing on finding a job I truly enjoy. Then I start writing pages of text describing health problems that prevent me from doing things properly, in addition to the usual complaints I have about life. The first check-list took me three days over three half-hour periods to complete, just so it is clear.

Eclair_de_XII said:
You know, I don't think I'm doing this check-list correctly. Each of the three times I have done the check-list, I have had a tendency to diverge from the goal of focusing on finding a job I truly enjoy. Then I start writing pages of text describing health problems that prevent me from doing things properly, in addition to the usual complaints I have about life. The first check-list took me three days over three half-hour periods to complete, just so it is clear.
Those are issues we really can't help you with except to say get your health issues figured out first - whether they are temporary or permanent. And if the issue is really how your health issues make you feel, that's a job for a psychologist.
I have done the check-list... the goal of focusing on finding a job I truly enjoy.
That's a fine goal, but make sure you aren't biasing the answers to try to make reality conform to your goals. Reality might not agree, and is usually correct, so you need to deal with the real answers, not make a plan based on fantasized answers.

Likes jrmichler

1. What have you been doing since graduating college?

I have been working as a research assistant in a lab, gaining hands-on experience in various experiments and data analysis techniques.

2. Have you been able to find a job in your field of study?

Yes, I was fortunate enough to secure a position in my desired field. However, it did take some time and effort to find the right opportunity.

3. Are you planning on pursuing further education?

I am considering pursuing a master's degree in my field, but I am also exploring other options such as internships and industry positions.

4. How has your college education prepared you for your current job?

My college education provided me with a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills, which have been invaluable in my current job.

5. What advice do you have for recent college graduates who are still looking for a job?

Stay persistent and don't be afraid to apply for positions that may not be exactly what you had in mind. Also, network as much as possible and keep an open mind to different opportunities.