Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neat Places in Frisco

1. Jun 14, 2005 #1
    So tomorrow I am leaving on vacation to Frisco. When I first get there I will be meeting a friend at the Mission and going to a place called Amnesia for gypsy jazz(?) then possibly The Make Out Room where a friend of hers is playing. I will be staying in Oakland with another friend of mine but she will be working Thursday afternoon and I'll be on my own. So far I have no other plans.

Can anyone think of any good places to go to in Frisco?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2005 #2

Tsu

Gold Member

Go down to the Marina Green and watch the stunt kite flyers. It's almost Kite Festival time. :biggrin: Stunt kites are a BLAST!! I used to fly a set of six. (I HAVE flown a set of 25 but they dang near picked me up and dumped me into the SF Bay!!! :biggrin: My friends had to hang on the the belt loops of my jeans to keep me on the ground!!)

Pier 39 is fun (sometimes they have kite flyers out in front, too). Ghirardelli Square - the whole Wharf is fun...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  4. Jun 14, 2005 #3
    Take a drive out to Meir Woods,its not far, accross the Golden Gate and take a walk in the giant redwoods, you'll pass the Pier on the way! Stop for a bite to eat in Sausalito on your way back!

I play the radio really loud on the Bay Bridge, it helps me keep my mind off of being squished by it.

5. Jun 14, 2005 #4
    Thank you both!

Tsu, you must really like kites.

6. Jun 14, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So that's what you did while I was home locked in the closet, my only food...empty chocolate wrappers. :cry:

wait...that's Chocolate!! -
    :cry:

7. Jun 15, 2005 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

I really do. Stunt kites are SO much fun. I like to fly them about a foot off the ground while the dogs at the Green chase their tails. :biggrin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Do you remember me trying to attach a spreader bar to your bunting bag and trying to fly YOU?!?!?!? Mom 'bout had a fit. I thought it was hysterical... :rofl: :rofl:

8. Jun 15, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I think you should go see the exploratorium (lotsa cool stuff) :wink:

9. Jun 15, 2005 #8
    I don't think anyone in SF calls it Frisco though.

10. Jun 15, 2005 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

ABSOLUTELY the Exploratorium!! How could I have forgotten THAT?? :biggrin:

I don't think anyone there calls it Frisco, either. When I lived there, everyone got pissed if you called it "Frisco". It's "The City". :rolleyes: :biggrin:

11. Jun 15, 2005 #10
    Also - check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley or the Upper Haight in SF. There are Amoeba Records there, and other assorted shops. (There's an Amoeba in Hollywood too).

Get some really cheap takeout dim sum from Dick Lee's Pastries in Chinatown. 777 Jackson. I recommend the roast pork buns. If you're in the Chinatown area, you can also head up to City Light Books and North Beach (the Little Italy of SF). Or you could head down to the Union Square area, but the shopping there is more conventional and pricey. (Actually that might be where you start if you take the BART).

12. Jun 15, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

San Francisco is evil!!!

I had to go to pier 39 on this old ship for a field trip to "EDUCATE ME" on some crap. It was 3 freaken days of working on an old 18th century ship being yelled at everytime we put our hands in our pockets and having to stay up to midnight "on watch". We (my dad also came along too as a chaperone) paid $200 freaken bucks for this miserable torture fest and i forever will hate san fracisco for this. 2 years later, an article in the paper said the ship was going to be used for teenaged criminals as some sort of historical torture and have them work on the ship just like us! I had some retribution later however when an article in the paper said that that specific boat was going to be taken away or something. SF got a bit of its credibilty back because of that... but i wont be satisfied until that entire dock is burnt down and a toxic waste dump replaces it.

13. Jun 15, 2005 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some suggestions :

The Exploratorium
    Fisherman's Wharf
    Ghirardelli Square
    Sausalito

14. Jun 16, 2005 #13
    Yeah... I don't really care lol. Actually I was just using that as a shorter way of typing the name.

Thank you for all teh suggestions everyone. I have to see where everything is. I need to meet up with my friend when she gets off work so I don't really have a whole lot of time. I don't think her work is very far from frisco though... er The City or what have you.

15. Jun 16, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Jun 16, 2005 #15

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Yeah, but it's a lot different since you escaped. :cool:

17. Jun 16, 2005 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Heck yah, alcatraz use ot be cool until Sean Connery had it blown up in that movie :-/

18. Jun 16, 2005 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I'm really gonna have to quit sharing my secrets with you. :smile:

19. Jun 16, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

they're in your journal already. I have a local news segment that for every $100 dollars that is contributed, one of them is revealed. it's wednesday mornings on CNN

20. Jun 17, 2005 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Squealer! :grumpy: And I thought we had a deal!!! :cry:

21. Jun 17, 2005 #20
    That Tenderloin District is a mighty interesting place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?