Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Nebula filters

1. Jul 21, 2016 #21

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

What sort of filter were you using, btw?

2. Jul 21, 2016 #22

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

this one for the telephoto lens

http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Solar-Filters/Orion-Solar-Filter----br--90mm-Refractor/1014/productview.aspx [Broken]

and its BIG brother for the telescope

http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Solar-Filters/Orion-Solar-Filter---br--9-25--SCT/1028/productview.aspx [Broken]

there are still the rare times where I happen to be away from home without either of the above filters
    and I have resorted to my old mylar filter ( survival blanket x 3 layers) it gives quite a blue image compared to the
    orange of the commercial filters

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  3. Jul 21, 2016 #23

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That picture has a lot of subtle detail but the view through my filter at a magnification that fills the visual field is pretty well a uniform yellow. Should I consider some additional EP filter to reveal that? I see the prices of the best Etalon filters are a joke for the amateur enthusiast.

4. Jul 22, 2016 #24

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

@Dave: There was some blue sky today and I looked at the Sun 'properly' That sunspot group was very visible but not as sharp as your photo. I guess that 'seeing' problems are common during the day - especially hot and muggy days, which is what we are having at the moment.

5. Jul 24, 2016 #25

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

were you referring to those lighter markings near the limb to the right of the spot group ?
    They are called plage, they are only really seen when they are near the limb where there is a better contrast between the background and the plage. They get washed out in the brightness of the background when in the central region.
    Plage are active regions that haven't formed sunspots. They can become more active and produce spots, or conversely, active spot regions can decay and leave just plage visible.

upload_2016-7-24_15-16-53.png

The better detail within the spot groups only comes with a good scope. My 9" scope will do that but my 500mm lens on the camera just doesn't quite get there

Dave

6. Jul 24, 2016 #26

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

then if you have a really big scope you can start getting this sort of detail
    including the granularisation. That I would like to be able to do haha

tumblr_m6ywu9HoZb1r1dma9o1_1280.jpg

7. Jul 24, 2016 #27

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yikes!!

8. Apr 26, 2018 #28
    Hello stargazers, I'd like to revive the topic about nebula filters, more particularly I am interested in UHC filters for observing planetary nebulas. I have read lot of discussions, reviews and opinions on this topic over internet, but it would be very interesting to get some feedback from PF "stargazing" community :)

I wonder whether:
    1) do you use any UHC filter (or other narrowband filter) for nebula observations? If yes, which one?
    2) what are your light-pollution conditions at your place?
    3) what telescope aperture do yo have?
    4) what would be your subjective comparison of the view with or without the filter

On my side:
    1) So far I would probably buy something like Orion Ultrablock, nothing more expensive like Lumicon UHC
    2) According to light pollution map, my place is class 4 in Bortle scale.
    3) I've got 8" dobsonian
    4) never tried one...

Sorry if this post looks like questionnaire, but I thought it could be interesting for all stargazers, not only me :)

Thanks for your replies

9. Apr 26, 2018 #29

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

From what I have read, I would think that most seasoned visual astronomers will have tried many different kinds of nebula filter (probably a drawer full of discarded ones) and spent a lot of money. 'The one you just ordered' will always be the answer to the maiden's prayer - maybe until you actually look through it - but ambient conditions differ from site to site, especially in town.
    I reckon the only filters that really do what they are supposed to are the narrow band ones which are (necessarily) only for long exposure astrophotogtraphs.

10. Apr 26, 2018 #30

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have a light pollution filter that I sometimes use. It seems to help somewhat, depending on local conditions. But it's not a significant difference. You'll probably get the best results if you're looking at emissions nebulas through somewhat narrowband filters since you can block out most of the light except for the emission bands you want to see. Unfortunately I don't have any narrowband filters designed for visual use, I only have them for my camera.

11. Apr 26, 2018 #31
    1. I used pretty much all of the visual narrow-band nebula filters. Which one works the best depends on what wavelengths the nebula emits, overall UHC and OIII are the best but if the nebula is mostly emitting H-alpha and H-Beta a OIII filter.
    2. It was pretty good (similar to your I expect or slightly better especially at some star parties at darker locations) but then I moved and mostly stopped doing astronomy.
    3. I have used nebula filter in telescopes from 9 to 60 cm. Most of it was with our astronomy clubs F/4 45 cm Newton and 38 cm Dobson.
    4. That is one of those question that depends on a myriad of variables. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Almost always different. Magnification and exit pupil might change the result. So will the nebula surface brightness and if there are variations in which emissions dominate in different parts of the nebula. For instance the Dumbell nebula can look very different depending on which filter you use (and different from using no filter).

12. Apr 26, 2018 #32
    yes I agree, it is quite easy to give in temptation when you are enthusiastic amateur :) It is almost one year since I am reconsidering the purchase of the filter because I really don't want to spend my money for something what I would keep unused in a drawer. Maybe I reconsider too much ...

13. Apr 26, 2018 #33
    Initially I was thinking about this category of broadband filters (LPR). They are not so expensive and theoretically they could be used for more deep-sky objects. But looking at the transmission graphs, majority of them seems too broad, maybe not that helpful in a suburb area.
    I agree, it seems that narrowband filter should be more efficient for emission nebulas (planetary nebulas and HII regions are of my interest)

14. Apr 27, 2018 #34

Oh, that doesn't sounds good you had to stop doing astronomy, is the light pollution so bad at your current place?

Honestly, I am bit afraid to jump directly to OIII filter, isn't it too much specialized? On the other hand, it could better suppress the light pollution... I found this link useful when comparing UHC and OIII filters - the guy was doing test with 4 types of filters on some popular nebulas.

Regarding the emission lines, it seems there are two groups of UHC filters. All of them transmit Hβ and OIII lines, but regarding Hα, some of the filters block the near-red band (eg. Orion Ultrablock) and some of them transmit it, including Hα (Astronomik UHC), comparison here. Do you have experience with both types?

EDIT: sorry, Lumicon UHC is blocking Hα line

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  15. Apr 27, 2018 #35

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For me:

1) No.
    2) Awful: urban conditions.
    3) 5.5" refractor (400mm/2.8 telephoto lens)
    4) N/A.

16. Apr 27, 2018 #36
    No, actually the sky is better here, there is no 2.5 million population city 70 km away and there are three nearby (30 km) areas with dark skies instead of two. The local astronomy club however has no dark site observatory. I'm in Sweden and I don't fancy being alone on a deserted forestry road in the middle of the night in -30C with no heat or power setting everything up from scratch every time. The lack of company then makes it very hard to become motivated to observe or do astrophotography. I still do some astronomy especially in autumn and I go to star parties.

I'd get the UHC before the OIII for the same reason you stated.

Hα is almost exclusively useful only for photography, it's a much stronger emission line compared to Hβ but our eyes are very bad at detecting Hα. I don't know if I have looked through a UHC with Hα transmission but I _have_ looked through a photographic Hα filter and at that was useless on everything.

Not to chase you away but have you tried https://stargazerslounge.com/ ? It's a very active and friendly amateur astronomy forum and there is a huge number of threads there already about filters.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  17. Apr 27, 2018 #37

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

completely agree ... great forum. joined up there late last year several months after I got into solar Ha observing and imaging.
    Most of my posts are in the solar sections of the forums

Dave

18. Apr 28, 2018 #38
    oh, those are really tough conditions!

ok, it seems that UHC filters blocking the red band should do better job during visual observations.

I visited and read discussions on several similar forums, but I probably missed this one, I'll check it - thanks for the hint. But anyway, I was interested in the opinions of community over here on PF, and I am glad that I could get it - thank you all for your feedback!

19. Apr 28, 2018 #39

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

That's the truth! Even working in ones back garden can get stressful when things start to go wrong. The brain works a lot better with another one nearby to bounce ideas off. I imagine your forest roads may not have a good internet signal either.

20. Jul 4, 2018 #40
    In case someone is interested, here is a brief review of my new UHC filter (orion ultrablock). It took me some time to try it, because I didn't have a lot opportunities for stargazing last weeks, but yesterday I manage it finally.
    Although it provided only just slightly better contrast in case of ring nebula (M57), in case of dumbbell (M76) not only contrast was better, but I could see the nebula bit larger as the outer areas that were unseen before, emerged.
    When I checked the HII regions in Sagittarius, the improvement with filter was even better. Without the filter, I could barely see any nebulosity of lagoon (M8) or eagle nebula (M16), only the star clusters. With the filter, the nebulae emerged and could be seen very nicely. Swan nebula (M17) showed details which I haven't seen before without the filter.
    Saying shortly, I don't regret the purchase and I am happy with the filter - it makes a difference under my area (suburban) conditions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted