Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neck cracking

1. Jul 19, 2007 #1

ranger

Gold Member

I get the urge to crack my neck once everyday to relieve the stiffness. The urge is even stronger after I put in some good hours of reading or computer related activities. And man does it feel good!
    But I fear that there may be some medical implications to this. Like maybe tearing something that may show up in the long run. I've never been to a chiropractor to get it done. I always do it myself with a gentle twist.
    Is this bad? Maybe there are certain routines or exercises that I can do to relieve the stiffness in my neck?

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2007 #2
    there has never been evidence that cracking joints leads to malady

4. Jul 19, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Damn you Ranger, now I had to crack my neck. :grumpy:

5. Jul 19, 2007 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing feels better than a good "zipper" crack, when the vertibrae pop one by one in ascending order. I can get that the morning after a long bike ride.

6. Jul 19, 2007 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is neck-cracking physilogically?
    Presumably the vibrations from some bones rubbing together get transmitted through the skull into the ear but why a cracking?

7. Jul 19, 2007 #6
    I think I read somewhere that it's actually tendons sliding over not so smooth outcroppings of bone...

Not 100% certain though.

8. Jul 19, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My brother cracks his neck all the time. It freaks the crap out of me. It sounds and looks like someone breaking their own neck!! I do crack my knuckles though.....breaking fingers is apparently not as creepy to me.:rolleyes:

9. Jul 19, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Jul 19, 2007 #9

ranger

Gold Member

Hell yea! :!!)

11. Jul 19, 2007 #10
    Muscles feel tight, you crack your neck...streching the ligaments. As the ligaments become looser, the small muscles {that connect one vertebra to the other} become tighter, to support your head, doing the work the ligaments should be doing. These small muscles get tight, making you feel like you want to crack your neck again. The cycle goes on and on.

12. Jul 19, 2007 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

EVERYTIME I see this thread I have to crack my neck. :grumpy:

Ranger, you are in DEEP trouble.

13. Jul 19, 2007 #12

Mk

I gotta admit, that is pretty cool when it happens.

14. Jul 19, 2007 #13

ranger

Gold Member

Oh Evo, once you start cracking, it becomes an addictive habit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?