Nedd help finding weight over length

In summary, the table weighs 1100lbs when picked up only at one end, but when lifted at a 35 or 40 degree angle, the weight increases to 498.9567kg.
slayerus87
what i mean is... i need to know how much a table weighs when picked up only at one end

the table is 1100lbs but we are only picking it up (one side only )at about a 35 or 40 degree angle. and also the table is 8 ft long

theres got to be a formula out there but I've been googling for about 30 min now and i havnt found anything

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
i was just thinking, would the weight after lifting be half of the original

If the weight is distributed evenly, it is half when you first lift one end. As the angle increases, the amount of weight on the part on the ground increases, though how much depends on how the two sides are supported. The minimum weight the up side needs to support is, irrc, half the weight times the cosine of the angle. You might want to draw a diagram and check that - that's just off the top of my head. The minimum is with the person pushing perpendicular to the table surface (so at an angle when the table is angled to the floor).

If we convert 1100 lbs we get approximately 498.9567 kg and then times the Fg which is 9.8 N which equals 4,889.776 N. The you will have to split the problem into a y and x component to get the force the the table exerts when you lift it 35 or 40 degrees up.

yes u would haft to use force vectors and x and y components like the guy above me said.

thanks a lot guys

im sorry about reviving this thread but I am not going to lie to you...i have no idea how to do that. I've googled and tried on my own but i can't teach my self physics

i hate to ask but could someone do this for me:confused:

thank you all so much

If we assume the table is perfectly balanced and even then the math is actually pretty easy. The table is usually a 50/50 balance. You need to figure out how much weight is shifted to the other side. Take your angle in degrees (0 for flat, 90 for vertical) multiply by 0.0111... and then multiply half the weight by that to find how much is shifted. Example:
1100 / 2 = 550, that's your normal weight of each side.
40 degrees * 0.0111... = 0.444... * 550 = 244 shifted (306/794).

Again this won't take into account the fact that the legs add weight to the outsides, or if the table is not symmetric.

this gave me some trouble 2 would it be sin(40)/(550)=1/x i used law of sines
then x would be (550)/(sin40) oh i see then 244 shifted to the other side that makes sense so it woul be what u said above.

1. What is the formula for calculating weight over length?

The formula for calculating weight over length is weight (in kilograms) divided by length (in meters squared). This is also known as the Body Mass Index (BMI) formula.

2. Why is weight over length important in the field of science?

Weight over length is important in the field of science because it is a measure of body composition and can provide valuable information about an individual's overall health and risk for certain diseases. It is also used in various research studies to analyze the effects of weight on different body systems and functions.

3. How do I measure weight over length accurately?

To measure weight over length accurately, you will need a scale to measure weight and a measuring tape to measure height. Once you have these tools, simply divide your weight (in kilograms) by your height (in meters squared) to calculate your BMI or weight over length.

4. What is a healthy weight over length range?

A healthy weight over length range falls between 18.5 and 24.9 on the BMI scale. A BMI below 18.5 is considered underweight, while a BMI above 24.9 is considered overweight. It is important to note that BMI is not always the most accurate measure of health and should be used in conjunction with other factors such as muscle mass and body composition.

5. How can I improve my weight over length ratio?

The best way to improve your weight over length ratio is through a combination of regular exercise and a balanced, healthy diet. This will help you maintain a healthy weight and improve your overall health and well-being. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized recommendations and to ensure safe and sustainable weight management.