1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a basic light Microscope

1. Oct 16, 2003 #1
    I would like to purchase a Microscope. I just need a basic light Microscope, possibly for Biology work. I am a 10th grader and I got to use one at school for then 2nd time in 3 years. I really wish that I could look through one more often.

I don't want to spend, or I should say my parents don't want to spend too much more than $300US.

I was thinking about the Celestron Biology Microscope. Any other suggestions? I will probably get it from Amazon.com

By the way, do Microscopes come with the glass slide and cover slip? Where can I get those cool slides with butterfly legs and stems on them? My teacher said at a supply warehouse, which isn't too specific.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My microscope (if I still have it) cost about $100 15 years ago and was bought at Toys R. Us. It went up to 900x magnification. It was a truly wonderful "toy." Today for probably about that much you can get one with a webcam attached for viewing on a computer. Mine came with a couple of dozen slides with things on them (and you can get more as accessories in the same store) plus spare slides and cover slips.

4. Oct 17, 2003 #3
    A Microscope from Toys R Us eh?

Aren't those meant for kiddies? Are you sure that is wise for me to do?

Not that I am questioning you, it just seems kind of odd...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?