What is the Best Basic Light Microscope for a High School Student on a Budget?

In summary, the speaker is a 10th grader looking to purchase a basic light microscope for biology work. They have used one at school in the past and want to have more access to one. Their budget is around $300US and they are considering the Celestron Biology Microscope. They plan to purchase it from Amazon.com. They also mention wanting to get glass slides and cover slips, as well as cool slides with butterfly legs and stems on them, which can be found at a supply warehouse. The speaker's teacher mentioned getting these items at a specific supply warehouse, but the speaker is unsure of the exact location. The speaker also mentions their previous experience with a microscope they got from Toys R Us, which had a magnification
Dagenais
I would like to purchase a Microscope. I just need a basic light Microscope, possibly for Biology work. I am a 10th grader and I got to use one at school for then 2nd time in 3 years. I really wish that I could look through one more often.

I don't want to spend, or I should say my parents don't want to spend too much more than $300US.

I was thinking about the Celestron Biology Microscope. Any other suggestions? I will probably get it from Amazon.com

By the way, do Microscopes come with the glass slide and cover slip? Where can I get those cool slides with butterfly legs and stems on them? My teacher said at a supply warehouse, which isn't too specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
My microscope (if I still have it) cost about $100 15 years ago and was bought at Toys R. Us. It went up to 900x magnification. It was a truly wonderful "toy." Today for probably about that much you can get one with a webcam attached for viewing on a computer. Mine came with a couple of dozen slides with things on them (and you can get more as accessories in the same store) plus spare slides and cover slips.

A Microscope from Toys R Us eh?

Aren't those meant for kiddies? Are you sure that is wise for me to do?

Not that I am questioning you, it just seems kind of odd...

1. What is a basic light microscope?

A basic light microscope is a scientific instrument used to view and study small objects or organisms that cannot be seen with the naked eye. It works by using light to magnify the image of the specimen being observed.

2. How does a basic light microscope work?

A basic light microscope works by passing light through the specimen being observed, which is then magnified by a series of lenses and projected into the eyepiece for viewing. The amount of magnification can be adjusted by changing the lenses or using the microscope's focus knobs.

3. What are the main components of a basic light microscope?

The main components of a basic light microscope include the eyepiece, objective lenses, stage, focus knobs, and light source. The eyepiece is used to view the magnified image, while the objective lenses provide varying levels of magnification. The stage holds the specimen being observed, and the focus knobs are used to adjust the focus. The light source provides illumination for the specimen.

4. What types of specimens can be viewed with a basic light microscope?

A basic light microscope can be used to view a wide range of specimens, including plant and animal cells, bacteria, protists, and small invertebrates. It can also be used to view non-biological specimens such as minerals, crystals, and thin films.

5. What are the advantages of using a basic light microscope?

One of the main advantages of using a basic light microscope is its affordability and ease of use. It is also versatile, as it can be used to view a variety of specimens and can provide high-resolution images. Additionally, a basic light microscope can be used without extensive training and can be easily set up in a laboratory or classroom setting.