Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a basic light Microscope

1. Oct 16, 2003 #1
    I would like to purchase a Microscope. I just need a basic light Microscope, possibly for Biology work. I am a 10th grader and I got to use one at school for then 2nd time in 3 years. I really wish that I could look through one more often.

I don't want to spend, or I should say my parents don't want to spend too much more than $300US.

I was thinking about the Celestron Biology Microscope. Any other suggestions? I will probably get it from Amazon.com

By the way, do Microscopes come with the glass slide and cover slip? Where can I get those cool slides with butterfly legs and stems on them? My teacher said at a supply warehouse, which isn't too specific.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My microscope (if I still have it) cost about $100 15 years ago and was bought at Toys R. Us. It went up to 900x magnification. It was a truly wonderful "toy." Today for probably about that much you can get one with a webcam attached for viewing on a computer. Mine came with a couple of dozen slides with things on them (and you can get more as accessories in the same store) plus spare slides and cover slips.

4. Oct 17, 2003 #3
    A Microscope from Toys R Us eh?

Aren't those meant for kiddies? Are you sure that is wise for me to do?

Not that I am questioning you, it just seems kind of odd...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?