How Can Mechanics and Sound Be Tied into a School Project on Stars?

In summary, for a project on stars tying into physics, one can look at how mechanics and sound are connected to stars, including concepts such as gravity, mass, velocity, sound waves, and their interactions with the environment.
Chikablam
Hello all, new here, so I hope this would be the best forum for it to go into.
Anyway, for school we have to do a project on any subject we want, and tie it into what we've been studying in physics. I selected stars, and I'm having a bit of trouble tying it into everything.
What we've done so far is Mechanics, Light, Heat and Sound.
Light and Heat should be no problem, but mechanics and heat are proving difficult.
For mechanics so far, I've dealt with Gravity and its' relationship with stars, but beyond that I'm kinda lost. I'm still in Secondary school, 5th Year (Irish Education system, I think about the equivalent of 11th grade in the American system, if there is one), so we haven't done anything too complex with Mechanics. We've done Scalars, Vectors, Acceleration, Equations of Motion, Gravity & moments.
So, anyone able to help me connect any of those with stars?

Sound I haven't started on, but I think that will prove difficult, so if anyone can help with that either, that'd be great.
Many thanks,
Eoin

Physics news on Phys.org
For mechanics, you can look at how a star's mass affects its gravitational pull and how this affects the orbits of other objects around it. You can also consider how a star's velocity affects its position in space and how it moves relative to other stars. Additionally, you can look at how the shape of a star influences its interactions with other stars and the surrounding environment. For sound, you can look at the different types of sound waves generated by stars. These can range from radio waves to X-rays. You can also consider how these sound waves travel through the interstellar medium, and how they are affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and density. Finally, you can explore how these sound waves can be used to study stars, such as through the technique of asteroseismology.

1. What are stars made of?

Stars are primarily made up of hydrogen and helium gas, with smaller amounts of other elements such as carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen. These elements are constantly being fused together through nuclear reactions, which release energy and heat, making the star shine.

2. How are stars classified?

Stars are classified based on their temperature, size, and brightness. The most common classification system is the Morgan-Keenan (MK) system, which uses letters to represent the star's temperature. The seven main types of stars are O, B, A, F, G, K, and M, with O being the hottest and M being the coolest.

3. What is the life cycle of a star?

The life cycle of a star begins as a cloud of gas and dust, called a nebula. Gravity pulls the gas and dust together, forming a protostar. Once the protostar's core reaches a high enough temperature, nuclear fusion begins and the star is born. Depending on its mass, a star can live for millions or billions of years, before eventually running out of fuel and either becoming a white dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.

4. How do we measure the distance to stars?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance to stars, including parallax, spectroscopy, and standard candles. Parallax involves measuring the apparent shift of a star's position as the Earth orbits the Sun, while spectroscopy analyzes the light emitted by a star to determine its distance. Standard candles, such as Cepheid variable stars, have a known luminosity and can be used to calculate distance based on their observed brightness.

5. Can we see stars outside of our own galaxy?

Yes, we can see stars outside of our own galaxy, the Milky Way. With the use of powerful telescopes, we can see stars in other galaxies that are millions or even billions of light years away. However, due to the vast distances involved, we are only seeing these stars as they were in the past and not in their current state.