Need a book recommendation [electronics]

In summary, the book The Art of Electronics is a good book to start with if you are interested in electronics.
Donello
Hello

I have taken a language test few days ago and in case I pass it I will get enrolled in an electrical engineering program in Germany. I have no prior knowledge/experience in electronics at all and am thinking about doing something about this before I enroll.
What do you think about the book The art of electronics by Paul Horowitz. Do you think it's a good introduction to circuits and electronics ? There are two versions of this book, the other one is called Learning the art of electronics. What book do you think best suits my need ?

Likes Bibleman
Physics news on Phys.org
The "art" books for sure are not for you. Not for complete beginners. If I rememberer correctly in Germany you have a "similar" book to the "art" book the Halbleiter-Schaltungstechnik U. Tietze, Ch. Schenk I have the Polish edition on my shelf.

Donello said:
Hello

I have taken a language test few days ago and in case I pass it I will get enrolled in an electrical engineering program in Germany. I have no prior knowledge/experience in electronics at all and am thinking about doing something about this before I enroll.
What do you think about the book The art of electronics by Paul Horowitz. Do you think it's a good introduction to circuits and electronics ? There are two versions of this book, the other one is called Learning the art of electronics. What book do you think best suits my need ?
The Art of Electronics is one of my favorite basic electronics books. I like the practical approach they take, and the sections on Circuit Ideas and Bad Circuits. I wish I had read the book cover-to-cover before starting my EE degree -- it would have been a great head start. :smile:

I's also recommend that you build a few electronics kits early-on in your education. Building real circuits helps you learn better questions to ask in your schoolwork, in my experience.

I'm no help on the different versions of the book, though. Sorry.

Likes CalcNerd and Bibleman
The Art of Electronics is the textbook written by Horowitz and Hill.
Learning the Art of Electronics is a workbook / activities collection / addition to the textbook. Think "exercises" with solutions and suggestions.

As for the books, it very much depends what branch of EE are you pursuing. Microelectronics? Razavi; Digital Electronics? Still Razavi, but the other one (you'll see :-) ); general electronics? Sedra Smith. Device electronics? Pierret. Want an old classic? Millman (comes in four flavors: devices, analog mostly, digital mostly, just the circuits). The list is endless... these are the simplest.

Perhaps you should follow the advice above and have a look at Tietze. It's made in Germany, it might be tailored for German EE courses.

Likes Bibleman
Thank you

1. What are some good introductory books on electronics?

Some good introductory books on electronics include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, and "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt. These books cover basic concepts and provide hands-on projects to help beginners learn.

2. Are there any books specifically for learning about circuit design?

Yes, there are several books focused on circuit design, such as "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Circuit Analysis For Dummies" by John Santiago, and "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles Alexander and Matthew Sadiku. These books cover topics such as circuit theory, analysis, and design techniques.

3. Are there any books that cover advanced topics in electronics?

Yes, there are many books that cover advanced topics in electronics, such as "Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius" by Dave Cutcher, "Advanced Electronic Circuits" by Atul P. Godse and Uday A. Bakshi, and "The Art of Electronics: The x Chapters" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill. These books cover topics such as advanced circuit design, microelectronics, and digital electronics.

4. What are some good books for learning about microcontrollers?

Some good books for learning about microcontrollers include "Programming Arduino: Getting Started with Sketches" by Simon Monk, "PIC Microcontroller Projects in C: Basic to Advanced" by Dogan Ibrahim, and "The 8051 Microcontroller and Embedded Systems" by Muhammad Ali Mazidi. These books cover topics such as programming, interfacing, and projects using microcontrollers.

5. Are there any books that focus on specific applications of electronics?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific applications of electronics, such as "Electronic Gadgets for the Evil Genius" by Bob Iannini, "Make: Analog Synthesizers" by Ray Wilson, and "Arduino Robotics" by John-David Warren, Josh Adams, and Harald Molle. These books cover topics such as building electronic gadgets, creating musical instruments, and using Arduino for robotics projects.