1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a book recommendation

1. Sep 14, 2005 #1
    I need a book recommendation for Lie Groups/Group Theory. I am taking a QFT course and the first month is a whirlwind intro to Group Theory with an emphasis on Lie Groups. There is no book, but only the professors notes that doesn't give any proofs. His notes simply states a bunch of theorems, then goes on to give only very trivial examples. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any books that are especially good on the subject? They should be accessable to someone who has never seen the material before. Thanks for any help you can give.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    Ok... so my library doesn't have this one. Any other good ones out there. I am trying to get it through inter-library loan, but one never knows.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    Cheers,
    Ryan

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might try Groups, Representations and Physics, 2nd edition, by H. F. Jones.

Regards,
    George

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5
    Also Michael Tinkham's Dover book.

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Micheal Tinkhams book does not cover Lie groups, it is written for the solid state theorist. Aitcheson ahd Hey's Quantum Field Thoery book covers quite a bit of Lie group theory, I'd suggest it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?