Finding Textbooks for Modern Physics Course Without Calculus

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in finding a textbook or multiple books for a new high school course in modern physics. They are specifically looking for books that do not use calculus, as the students may struggle with the math. The topics to be covered include relativity, quantum mechanics, elementary particles, nuclear physics, and cosmology. The speaker has already looked at several books that have good content but are too advanced for their students. They need to have a curriculum and book chosen by June 9th. They also mention the Halliday & Resnick book, which is still in print but is calculus based. They are interested in suggestions for simpler, algebra based textbooks such as Giancoli and Walker.
zywan6789
Hi Everyone... I need some help. I have read everyones threads on textbooks for modern physics. I am currently writting a new course in modern physics for my high school. The problem I am having is finding a textbook, or even several smaller books that do not use calculas. I am hoping to cover the following topics (none in any great detail, as this will be an 18 week course) Relativity, Quantum, Elementary Particles, Nuclear and Cosmology. I have already looked at the Serway, Thornton and Rohr books. All have great content, but the math is way over the head of my students. I have to come up with a curriculum and book for the course before June 9th. Help:eek:

PS does anyone know if the halliday & resnick book is still in print??

Physics news on Phys.org
HRW is still in print, but it's a calculus based book. You said that the math is over the heads for your students using Serway which is the same level...

Giancoli and Walker are simpler, algebra based textbooks that should have all of those topics in there.

Hello,

I understand your struggle in finding a suitable textbook for your modern physics course without calculus. It can be challenging to find a book that covers all the necessary topics without the use of calculus. However, there are some options that you can consider.

Firstly, you can try looking for books specifically designed for high school students or introductory college courses in physics. These books often have a more simplified approach and may not require calculus. Some examples of such books are "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt and "Physics: Principles and Problems" by Paul W. Zitzewitz.

Another option is to use online resources and lecture notes from universities that offer similar courses. These materials can provide a good overview of the topics and may not require advanced mathematical concepts. Some universities also have open courseware programs where you can access lecture videos and notes for free.

You can also try reaching out to other high school physics teachers or online forums to see if they have any recommendations for textbooks or resources that do not require calculus.

In regards to the Halliday & Resnick book, it is still in print and available for purchase. However, it does use calculus and may not be suitable for your course.

I hope these suggestions help in your search for a suitable textbook. Best of luck with your course preparation!

1. How can I find textbooks for a modern physics course without calculus?

There are a few options for finding textbooks for a modern physics course without calculus. One option is to search for textbooks specifically labeled as "calculus-free" or "algebra-based" modern physics textbooks. Another option is to look for textbooks that cover the topics of modern physics using only basic algebra, rather than calculus. You can also check with your professor or university library for recommended textbooks.

2. Are there any free online resources for modern physics without calculus?

Yes, there are several free online resources for studying modern physics without calculus. Some popular options include Khan Academy, OpenStax, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer textbooks, lectures, and practice problems that cover modern physics topics without the use of calculus.

3. Can I still understand modern physics without knowledge of calculus?

Yes, it is possible to understand modern physics without knowledge of calculus. While calculus is often used to explain and analyze complex physical phenomena, there are many concepts in modern physics that can be understood using only basic algebra and geometry. It may require some extra effort and practice, but it is certainly achievable.

4. Are there any disadvantages to studying modern physics without calculus?

One potential disadvantage of studying modern physics without calculus is that it may limit your understanding of more advanced topics in the field. Many universities and research institutions use calculus extensively in their studies and research, so having a strong foundation in calculus can be beneficial for further studies in modern physics. However, it is still possible to gain a solid understanding of modern physics without calculus.

5. How can I prepare for a modern physics course without calculus?

To prepare for a modern physics course without calculus, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and geometry. You can also review fundamental concepts in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, as these are often used as building blocks for modern physics. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the topics and concepts covered in the course syllabus can help you better prepare for the course.