Need a clie on how to build a Laboratory scale using strain gages

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to build a laboratory scale using strain gages. The scale should have a working range of 2 to 200 gm, an accuracy of at least 2 gm, and a footprint of no more than 16 in sq, using no more than 6 strain gages. The speaker is unsure of where to start and asks for assistance, mentioning the use of strain gages in a wheatstone bridge format and the need for calculations. They are advised to consult the strain gauge's datasheet and to research online for more information. A link to a helpful resource is provided.
n05tr4d4177u5
Need a help on how to go about building a Laboratory scale using strain gages

I need to build a scale with a working range of 2 to 200 gm, an accuracy of at least 2 gm, footprint of no more that 16 in sq, and use no more that 6 strain gages.

I believe I need to set up the strain gages in wheatstone bridge format. But that's about all i know. What kind of calculations do i need, where do i start, then what's the next step?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd start with the datasheet for the strain gauge. That should have some application hints on it. Otherwise, google strain gauge bridge, and you should get some good hits. Here's the first hit I got with that google:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/C83E9B93DE714DB08625686600704DB1?OpenDocument [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Building a laboratory scale using strain gages can be a challenging but rewarding project. Here are some steps you can follow to help guide you through the process:

1. Determine the specifications for your scale: As mentioned in the content, you need a scale with a working range of 2 to 200 gm, an accuracy of at least 2 gm, and a footprint of no more than 16 in sq. These specifications will guide you in selecting the appropriate components and designing your scale.

2. Choose your strain gages: There are different types of strain gages available, so you need to select the ones that best fit your needs. Make sure to consider factors such as sensitivity, temperature range, and compatibility with the material you will be measuring.

3. Design the layout of your scale: Based on your specifications, you can determine the number and placement of the strain gages on your scale. It is important to evenly distribute the gages to ensure accurate measurements.

4. Set up a wheatstone bridge circuit: As you mentioned, the strain gages will need to be set up in a wheatstone bridge format. This circuit allows for accurate measurement of small changes in resistance.

5. Calculate the expected output: Once your circuit is set up, you can use the known properties of your strain gages and the applied load to calculate the expected output of the bridge. This will help you determine if your scale will meet the desired accuracy and range.

6. Assemble and test your scale: With all the components in place, you can now assemble your scale. Make sure to carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions for mounting and connecting the strain gages. Once assembled, test your scale with known weights to ensure it is functioning accurately.

7. Make adjustments if necessary: If your scale does not meet the desired accuracy or range, you may need to make adjustments to the placement or number of strain gages. This may require some trial and error, but with careful calibration, you should be able to achieve the desired results.

Remember to also consider factors such as temperature compensation and calibration procedures to maintain the accuracy of your scale. I hope this helps guide you in building your laboratory scale using strain gages. Best of luck with your project!

1. How do I choose the right strain gages for my laboratory scale?

Choosing the right strain gages for your laboratory scale will depend on several factors such as the material of the scale, the expected load and range of measurement, and the required accuracy. It is important to consult with a strain gage manufacturer or supplier to determine the best options for your specific needs.

2. Do I need special equipment to install strain gages on my laboratory scale?

Yes, installing strain gages on a laboratory scale requires specialized equipment such as a strain gage application kit, microscopes, and soldering tools. It is recommended to seek the assistance of a trained professional for accurate and precise installation.

3. How often should I calibrate my laboratory scale using strain gages?

The frequency of calibration will depend on the specific requirements of your laboratory scale and the type of strain gages used. Generally, it is recommended to calibrate the scale at least once a year or whenever there are significant changes in the scale's environment or usage.

4. Can I use strain gages for both tension and compression measurements on my laboratory scale?

Yes, most strain gages are designed to measure both tension and compression. However, it is important to ensure that the gages are properly installed and aligned to accurately measure the desired strain in both directions.

5. How do I troubleshoot any issues with my laboratory scale's strain gages?

If you encounter any issues with your laboratory scale's strain gages, it is best to consult the manufacturer or supplier for troubleshooting assistance. Some common issues may include incorrect installation, faulty connections, or environmental factors affecting the measurements. Regular maintenance and periodic inspections can also help prevent potential problems.