Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a glue that will withstand 250°C or 350°C

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    To fixate some tiny wires for reflow soldering I need a glue that will withstand 250°C or 350°C and can be removed later. It should also not "sweat" or dissolve in tin so the solder stays clean.

I have thought about gypsum (plaster) and I hope it's removable with acid. But I fear it will get crumbly, isn't sticky enough and not nice to use.

Do you have any suggestions? I am sure there must be something water based. If salt would only be more sticky, and sugar wouldn't burn...

Being common in chemistry labs would be a plus, but not a prerequisite.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Glue

What sort of surface are you trying to stick the wires to?

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

The surface matters little to me since it is just supposed to support the structure while soldering. The insulation materials involved are sapphire and capton, the contacts are gold.

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would not call plaster acid soluble.

--

6. Aug 29, 2009 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

High-temperature silicone or PDMS (poly dimethoxysilane--silicone for micro/nanofabrication types)? Especially if you let it mould around whatever it is you're trying to hold in place.

To dissolve it, there are a few products on the market that might work that you can find in your local hardware store (DAP Silicone-Be-Gone can be found at Home Depot and Rona if you're in Canada) which I've never used. But for PDMS, there's a product called Dynasolve that works wonders for some friends / colleagues of mine.

There's a product from MG Chemicals that's meant for stripping various conformal coat / potting / encapsulation chemicals (of various compositions):
    http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8310.html [Broken]

Either way, I'd advise you to test it out on, say, a glass slide or something before doing it for real (the application of the adhesive, temperature treatment, and then subsequent attempt at strip).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Aug 29, 2009 #6

That sounds promising. The temperature is still a little low. It seems anything breaks down at 260°C the latest, but I can probably tweak a bit with the flux.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook