Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a good book on QFT

1. Nov 17, 2006 #1
    hi,

actually i am searching a good introduction into quantum field theory.
    the book should be like the lectures of feynman (The Feynman Lectures on Physics), i mean, not so mathematically as usually.

thx for answering

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2006 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's quite difficult to find a book which is particularly careless with mathematics. I'd say a useful reading and some neat calculations you can find in Anthony Zee's "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell".

Daniel.

4. Nov 17, 2006 #3
    "QED: The strange theory of light and matter", by Feynmann is quite a good read, and it uses pretty much no mathematics. At the same time though it doesn't go very deep into the quantum field theory.

It won't give you enough information to do useful calculations though.

5. Nov 17, 2006 #4
    I actually found that Zee was not a terribly enlightening book unless you already knew quantum field theory (I didn't). I pulled out Itzykson and Zuber, which is an okay book, but it doesn't have exercises, so I'm still a bit flakey. I'm just waiting for the quantum field theory sequence to be offered up next fall so I can get it in a class, which is probably the best place since there really is no Sakurai of quantum field theory.

6. Nov 17, 2006 #5
    You could try Diagrammatica. I read it about 10 years ago, and it seemed to go really well until about 3/4 of the way through the book where the author seemed to get impatient with trying to explain things, started waving his hands around furiously, and seemed to basically say "nevermind, just do it this way". Still, I think that may be the kind of book you're looking for.

I have a couple of others that are meant for "advanced undergrads", like A Modern Introduction to Quantum Field Theory and
    Aitchison and Hey vol. 1, but I haven't had a chance to get very deeply into them. Ryder is also pretty easy to read. And then there's Halzen & Martin, which is more phenomenological.

Oh, and I just ordered a used copy of Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics. Used paperback copies are cheap. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?