Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a good book

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    Hey i was wondering if someone could help me out here,

Im trying to find a book to read which will give me the amount of understanding an undergrad physics student would have in general relativity. I'm looking for a book that doesn't just go over the theories but also goes into the mathematical details.

any suggestions??

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2

xantox

Gold Member

J. B. Hartle, “Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein’s General Relativity“, Addison Wesley (2002).

4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In my opinion Schutz's book is the best for undergraduate GR. Carroll is good too, but might be a bid too advanced.

5. Feb 4, 2010 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Schutz is a good introduction. I haven't read Hartle. If you want the mathematical details, you should get Wald as well. If money isn't an issue, buy an "easy" book and Wald.

6. Feb 4, 2010 #5
    thanks for the replys!

im probably going to check out all of the books above and see which i like the best

7. Feb 5, 2010 #6
    Definitely Hartle. He teaches as much Physics as possible without frontloading the book with Riemannian geometry.

8. Feb 7, 2010 #7
    You could try General Relativity: An Introduction for Physicists by M. P. Hobson, G. P. Efstathiou, and A. N. Lasenby. I haven't read it yet, though.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook