How Do You Solve the Cosmological Distance Integral Using Elliptic Functions?

• Thread starter Nilupa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Donantonio believes that this integral is formatted unambiguously, but the problem is still "almost un-doable". He/she suggests numerically solving the problem from the beginning.
Nilupa
Please help me to find this integral.

∫(1/sqrt(1-(2/x)-((x^2)/3)))dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Nilupa said:
Please help me to find this integral.

∫(1/sqrt(1-(2/x)-((x^2)/3)))dx

This looks mean, but if you don't write it with LaTeX as this forum offers, then I won't waste my time trying to solve something that may be wrong because I misunderstood...

DonAntonio

donantonio said:
this looks mean, but if you don't write it with latex as this forum offers, then i won't waste my time trying to solve something that may be wrong because i misunderstood...

Donantonio

Untitled.jpg

I believe it's formatted unambiguously Don. I'd rather Latex too however:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{2}{x}-\frac{x^2}{3}}}dx[/tex]

I'll try a little to solve it without Mathematica. I couldn't so I input it into Mathematica and it returned the antiderivative in terms of special functions, in this case elliptic functions. Usually that means it has no simple antiderivative but not always.

I agree with jackmel. I don't think that it has an anti-derivative that can be expressed in terms of standard functions.

Is there any context to this integral Nilupa. Do you have a particular definite integral in mind. Can you use a numerical solution?

DonAntonio said:
This looks mean, but if you don't write it with LaTeX as this forum offers, then I won't waste my time trying to solve something that may be wrong because I misunderstood...

DonAntonio

He/she wrote it clearly, with all necessary parentheses, unlike so many posters herein.

That said, the problem is still "almost un-doable": the final result involves a horrible expression involving Elliptic functions.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
He/she wrote it clearly, with all necessary parentheses, unlike so many posters herein.

I hear what you're saying Ray. Having redundant parentheses is better than omitting essential ones (which, as you say, so often happens here). Still, it would have been a bit easier on the eye if the integrand was written with a few less parentheses. :smile:

1 / sqrt( 1 - 2/x - (x^2)/3 )

This is actually exactly the kind of integral I had to calculate once to find some distances in cosmology. It's not terribly difficult to find the solution in terms of elliptic integrals, all you need is to change variables to y=1/x and then do some scaling to get the proper form. Unfortunately there is no easy way to evaluate the elliptic functions, so unless you really need to spend as little cpu time as possible on doing the integral, you should just do it numerically from the beginning.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used in calculus to find the exact value of a function at a given point and to solve various problems related to rates of change.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. The method you choose depends on the complexity of the integral and the tools that you have available.

3. Why is solving integrals important?

Solving integrals is important because it allows us to find the exact value of a function at a given point, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications. Integrals also help us understand the behavior of a function and solve various problems related to rates of change.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add a constant of integration, making a mistake in the substitution, and forgetting to apply the chain rule. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these common errors.

5. Can integrals be used in real-life situations?

Yes, integrals are used in many real-life situations such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and determining the rate of change of a population. They are also used in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and biology.