1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a job in quantum physics

Tags:
  1. Dec 14, 2016 #1
    hi my name is Shane and im currently in college but my college does not help in that branch of science, im in England Suffolk and im 17, I was wondering if any one had an idea where I could start

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2
    Your college does not have a physics program?

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3
    in the UK college means senior high school. meaning 11 and 12th year of high school.

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Combining posts #2 and #3, I believe the most sensible first step would be to enroll in a university physics program.

6. Dec 15, 2016 #5
    nope :/ I really wish thay did all I wanna do is study space and time heh all the theory's are in my head

7. Dec 15, 2016 #6
    Then study all the math and science you can. Especially math.

Then university. (Then Phd, then post-doc, then...)

8. Dec 15, 2016 #7
    take further maths for a level, along with A level physics and normal maths. If the school does not offer further maths, do the mechanics modules and not decision mathematics or statistics IMO. Apply for experienc3e in labs

9. Dec 16, 2016 #8

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why are you attending a college that's not providing you with the education you want? Isn't that kind of like getting on a bus that's heading in the wrong direction?

10. Dec 17, 2016 #9
    I can't speak for the OP, but I see this happen an awful lot. Usually the cause comes down to parental, legal, financial, or geographical constraints. But when it comes to colleges and their ability to prepare students for physics degrees, I don't think many really take students in the "wrong direction."

It's more a matter of not being able to take students as far as they want to go combined with students not fully appreciating the need for prerequisite material before they get to "the good stuff."

But to advise on ones path, it is helpful to know more about what one has already accomplished and where one wants to go. Some appreciation of the constraints also helps, otherwise, we tend to give advice based on our understanding of "normal" opportunities and constraints which may be much different from the individual seeking advice.

But until one has completed all these, most paths to any field of physics or engineering includes the following:

High school math through mastery of algebra and trigonometry, in the US the course is usually called precalculus which builds on earlier algebra 1 and 2, and geometry.

High school physics - a year long course covering mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism that builds on an earlier physical science course and uses algebra and trig in lots of quantitative problem solving.

University Calculus through multivariable and vector calculus. In the US, this usually takes three semesters.

University Physics for Scientists and Engineers In the US this usually is two semesters, one focused on mechanics and the other on electricity and magnetism.

The paths for special subfields do not begin to diverge until at least these courses are completed. If you get this far and are still at an institution that does not offer the courses you really want, you can productively take a year of University Chemistry, as well as math courses commonly known as Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, and Numerical Analysis.

11. Dec 17, 2016 #10
    See post #3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted