Need a lil help 4 a lab report

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a lab report and a question about expressing an equation in terms of length and period. The student also discusses the potential effect of amplitude on frequency and the importance of experimental results in physics. The final part of the conversation includes a revised equation for the period expressed as a function of length, with some uncertainty about the accuracy of the solution.
DB
im having a little trouble with this part of my lab report, i think ill leave the details out, its just some math trouble.

here is my equation for frequency v.s function of length so that [tex]f\propto L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]:

[tex]f=5.6*L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

now the question is re-write this equation expressing the Period (T) as a function of length L. Period being seconds per osc. (freq being osc. per second.)

wat i now so far is [tex]f=\frac{1}{T}=5.6*L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] beyond that, i not really sure wat the question is asking me to do...

i have 1 more quick question. am i right to say that: yes, a pendulum's amplitude has an affect on its frequency because it has more distance to accelerate due to gravity, therefore giving it a greater velocity and higher frequency?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DB said:
im having a little trouble with this part of my lab report, i think ill leave the details out, its just some math trouble.

here is my equation for frequency v.s function of length so that [tex]f\propto L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]:

[tex]f=5.6*L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

now the question is re-write this equation expressing the Period (T) as a function of length L. Period being seconds per osc. (freq being osc. per second.)

wat i now so far is [tex]f=\frac{1}{T}=5.6*L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] beyond that, i not really sure wat the question is asking me to do...
Solve the equation! Solve [tex]\frac{1}{T}= 5.6*L^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] for T.

i have 1 more quick question. am i right to say that: yes, a pendulum's amplitude has an affect on its frequency because it has more distance to accelerate due to gravity, therefore giving it a greater velocity and higher frequency?

thanks
This is a lab report isn't it? What did your experiment show about this?
As far as your argument is concerned, if the amplitude is greater, then the pendulum comes down more, is accelerated more due to gravity, and so has a greater velocity (at the bottom) but, then, it has farther to go doesn't it? Which effect is greater? Again, the best answer to that, in a lab report anyway, is your experimental result!

I love math, but in physics it is the experimental result that wins every argument!

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
This is a lab report isn't it? What did your experiment show about this?
As far as your argument is concerned, if the amplitude is greater, then the pendulum comes down more, is accelerated more due to gravity, and so has a greater velocity (at the bottom) but, then, it has farther to go doesn't it? Which effect is greater? Again, the best answer to that, in a lab report anyway, is your experimental result!

I love math, but in physics it is the experimental result that wins every argument!

lol ur right about it being a lab report but the title of the thread kinda gives it away! :tongue2: anyway, on our lab sheet it said if you have time try increasing the amplitude by 20 degrees and see the results. unfortunatly my group didnt have enough time. but with ur statement in mind i believe that there will be no major difference in frequency with a change in amplitude, due to the fact that with a greater velocity the pendulum will have more acceleration distance yet will be going against gravity for more distance aswell, therefore canceling each other out when compared to a lower amplitude. is this making sense? thnx 4 da help btw

maybe the mass of the pendulum has the effect on the frequency?

Last edited:
okay for new equation,
[tex]\frac{1}{T}=\frac{5.6*L^-{\frac{1}{2}}}{1}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{T*(5.6*L^-{\frac{1}{2}})}{5.6*L^-{\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{5.6*L^-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
so
[tex]T=0.18*L^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
that right?

Last edited:
u might not be able to see my second step because i can't lol
this might work
[tex]\frac{T*(5.6*L^-\frac{1}{2})}{5.6*L^-\frac{1}{2}}=\frac{1}{5.6*L^-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a lab report?

A lab report is a document that summarizes and presents the results of a scientific experiment or investigation. It typically includes the purpose of the experiment, the materials and methods used, the data collected, and the analysis and interpretation of the results.

2. Why do we need to write a lab report?

Writing a lab report allows scientists to communicate their findings and share their methods with others in the scientific community. It also helps to organize and document the results of an experiment for future reference.

3. What should be included in a lab report?

A lab report should include a title, introduction, materials and methods, results, discussion, and conclusion. It may also include graphs, tables, and figures to help visualize the data.

4. How should I format my lab report?

The format of a lab report may vary depending on the specific requirements of your instructor or scientific journal. However, it typically follows a structured format with a clear and concise writing style, using appropriate headings and subheadings to organize the content.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful lab report?

Some tips for writing a successful lab report include carefully following the guidelines and instructions provided, being concise and objective in your writing, accurately presenting data and results, and proofreading for errors and clarity. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from peers or a mentor before submitting your report.