Calculating Capacitance for Pulsed Nitrogen Laser Design: Tips and Tricks

• Thread starter TrolliOlli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a pulsed nitrogen laser and the use of a high-voltage capacitor to create the necessary energy for operation. The energy requirement per pulse is 96 J and the capacitance needed can be estimated by using the formula C = Q/V = Q/Ed. The breakdown voltage of nitrogen is assumed to be the same as that of air, which can be found through a Google search. The conversation also mentions the use of a high voltage to ionize the air in the spark gap and the calculation of the breakdown voltage for nitrogen based on the gap distance.
TrolliOlli

Homework Statement

You are part of an engineering research team that is designing a pulsed nitrogen laser. To create the high energy densities needed to operate such a laser, the electrical discharge from a high-voltage capacitor is used. Typically, the energy requirement per pulse (i.e., per discharge) is 96 J. Estimate the capacitance required if the discharge is to create a spark across a gap of about 0.93 cm. Assume that the dielectric breakdown of nitrogen is the same as the value for normal air.

I honestly am completely lost.

I know C = Q/V = Q/Ed and also the potential energy U = 1/2 CV^2 but I don't know what I can do with the variables I'm given to get either V or E.

Physics news on Phys.org
This brings me back - I built a nitrogen laser in 1975 and used it's UV pulses to stimulate an experimental dye laser.

A high voltage is required to ionize the air in the spark gap; you'll need to look that up, perhaps in Wikipedia. Once it is ionized, the resistance is quite low and you can assume all the energy in the capacitor goes into the discharge. So your U = 1/2 CV² will do the job once you know the voltage required.

1. What is capacitance and how does it work?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is dependent on the physical characteristics of the system, such as the distance between the conductors and the type of dielectric material used. A capacitor works by storing charge on two conductors separated by an insulating material, which creates an electric field between them.

2. What factors affect the capacitance of a system?

The capacitance of a system is affected by the distance between the conductors, the surface area of the conductors, and the type of dielectric material used. The capacitance also increases with the number of capacitors connected in parallel and decreases with the number connected in series.

3. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a system can be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge stored on the conductors, and V is the voltage between the conductors. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the surface area of the conductors, and d is the distance between them.

4. What are some practical applications of capacitance?

Capacitance has many practical applications, such as in electronic circuits for filtering, energy storage, and signal delay. It is also used in power factor correction, sensors, and touchscreens. Large capacitors are used in power systems for energy storage and in radio frequency circuits for tuning.

5. How can capacitance be increased in a system?

The capacitance of a system can be increased by decreasing the distance between the conductors, increasing the surface area of the conductors, or using a dielectric material with a higher permittivity. Additionally, connecting capacitors in parallel will increase the overall capacitance of the system.