1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a little help.

1. Mar 30, 2006 #1
    I live in India. I want to become a theoretical physicist.
    I have just entered high school, so I wanted to know to do now. Can anybody help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2006 #2
    It's a 'touch' too early to be thinking about becoming a theoretical physicist by profession. I'm 22, in my 4th year and even I'd be premature thinking about a profession somewhat.

Best advice would be take as many maths and physics courses as you can in high school and college. Do a major in either mathematics or physics and then consider what you want to do. You've a very long road ahead of you and your interests might (and probably will) change between now and then, or you'll find you're better at other things.

Looking too far ahead to the distant future could damage how you do in the immediate future. Worry about university details when you get there.
  4. Mar 31, 2006 #3
    Yeah... I wanted to become an astrophysicist at your age... And now I'm heading towards Quantum computing. I'd be very surprised if your interests didn't change by the time you finished your iundergraduate studies. Like AlphaNumeric suggested take as many Math/Physics classes as possible. Also I recommend you buying an undergraduate physics textbook (e.g Young and Freedman http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-9569072-0229401)

They're aimed at undergraduate level but some of the material is applicable to high school level physics. Plus it will give you a taste of things to come.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?