Solve Pelican's Initial Speed & Fish's Horizontal Distance

• Thread starter jbutl3r25
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pelican dropping a fish from a height of 3.7 m and asks for the initial speed of the pelican. The answer is determined to be vx = 9.4. Later, the conversation discusses a similar problem where the pelican is only 3.3 m above the water and asks for the horizontal distance the fish will travel before hitting the water. The solution involves using the formula s = 1/2 g t^2 to calculate the freefall time and combining it with the horizontal speed to find the distance.
jbutl3r25
Ok this is a follow-up type of question. The first problem was : A pelican flying along a horizontal path drops a fish from a height of 3.7 m. The fish travels 8.2 m horizontally before it hits the water below. What is the pelicans initial speed?

vx
dx 8.2
t

vfY
voY 0
aY -9.8
dY -3.7
t

I worked this out to eventually get to vx = 9.4, giving the pelican's speed.

Now the part that's giving me trouble is this:
If the pelican is traveling at the same speed, but only 3.3 m above the water, how far would the fish travel horizontally before hitting the water below? I used the same format that I did about, and switched the dY to -3.3 m...I got the answer and put that as my answer in the online homework service we use. It said the first part was correct, but this part is wrong. Anoybody see what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out the time taken for the fish to freefall 3.3m using s = ut+1/2at^2
then put that time with the horizontal speed to get the horizontal distance.

Likes Mitxigan
help?

I have this same problem for my honors physics class and I was wondering what equation you used to get vx = 9.4?

The important point is that the fish's horizontal speed doesn't change - since no forces act horizontally.
So just use s = 1/2 g t^2 to get the freefall time and use that with the horizontal speed to get the horizontal distance travelled.

Likes Mitxigan

1. What is the equation for solving Pelican's initial speed and fish's horizontal distance?

The equation for solving Pelican's initial speed and fish's horizontal distance is as follows:
v = d/t
Where v is the velocity (initial speed) of the pelican, d is the horizontal distance traveled by the fish, and t is the time it takes the pelican to catch the fish.

2. How do you determine the initial speed of a pelican in order to catch a fish?

In order to determine the initial speed of a pelican to catch a fish, you will need to know the horizontal distance the fish has traveled and the time it takes for the pelican to catch the fish. Once you have these values, you can use the equation v = d/t to calculate the initial speed of the pelican.

3. What factors can affect the initial speed of a pelican when catching a fish?

The initial speed of a pelican when catching a fish can be affected by several factors, including the size and weight of the fish, the speed and direction of the wind, and the physical condition of the pelican (such as its age and health).

4. Can the initial speed of a pelican be calculated using any other methods?

Yes, the initial speed of a pelican can also be calculated using the conservation of energy principle, which states that the initial kinetic energy of the pelican must equal the kinetic energy of the fish at the moment of capture. This method may provide a more accurate calculation of the initial speed.

5. Why is it important to calculate the initial speed of a pelican when studying its hunting behavior?

Calculating the initial speed of a pelican when catching a fish can provide valuable insights into the hunting behavior and abilities of these birds. It can also help researchers understand the impact of environmental factors on the success rate of pelican hunting and inform conservation efforts for these species.