Need a name for my new pet spider

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, Hubert Cumberdale lives in my pan cupboard and has been lucky a couple of times when he occupied one of my pans. I nearly drowned him, but he has not made a web. I will let him stay because he is a nice spider. Charlotte suggests naming him Sam.
Peter Parker

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lisab said:
"Staph Infection" works too.
Staphylia if it is a she?

How about Arachnia?

Or Magnus(latin for big)?

Charlotte, as in Charlotte's web.

Nevermind, Charlotte's already been suggested.

How about Wilbur?

Evo said:
How about Wilbur?

Only if the spider owns a talking horse.

Just call him Horse, the talking spider.

That'll at least confuse the heck out of people while you go make some tea.

How about Harry?

Goobs or Beke, perhaps?

Spiderbot.

Loren Booda said:
Spiderbot.
Oh, I like that!

Pumpkinhead

Eensy-Weensy

wolram said:
I really do not follow your thinking, but as it must be better than mine Skitchy sounds fine :approve:

I was thinking that a spider moving about in the cupboard might make a sound like "skitch skitch skitch". That was about it.

If you mean the others: Parker as in Peter Parker (Spiderman), and Anansi like the African trickster god.

Lock the spider in the cupboard with a random timer released vial of poison and call him "Schrodinger."

Call it "Flat Hairy Black Spot on the Wall After Thowing a Shoe".

Smudge?

"Crazy 8"

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also don't want to create one just for this and have Evo ban me!

So today, I was giving the lawn a good mow and I walked face first into the scariest looking spider I have ever seen. I have lived in Florida for nearly my whole live, save for some time spent abroad, and I have never seen this thing before. I managed to find a picture of it online.
[URL]http://www.spiderzrule.com/jewell.jpg[/URL]

It looks just like that, except the one in my yard is yellow with white sides and black horns (or whatever those are). Wth is this? It was as large as a quarter!
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
QuarkCharmer said:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I also don't want to create one just for this and have Evo ban me!

So today, I was giving the lawn a good mow and I walked face first into the scariest looking spider I have ever seen. I have lived in Florida for nearly my whole live, save for some time spent abroad, and I have never seen this thing before. I managed to find a picture of it online.
jewell.jpg

It looks just like that, except the one in my yard is yellow with white sides and black horns (or whatever those are). Wth is this? It was as large as a quarter!
Munch it before it munches you.
It is quite tasty.

QuarkCharmer said:

jewell.jpg

Holy s@#$! It looks like one of those alien crab thingies that jump on your face in the movies and impregnate you with creepy alien eggs or control your mind.

Maybe you can call your spider Mini Evo, or Evo Jr.

I found a mate for your friend.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5135/20111002067.jpg

Wow! A pink, 4-legged spider catching an 8-legger!

QuarkCharmer said:

I see those all the time around the lanai, and unfortunately, on my car :cry: They float over from the tree next to the driveway...then when I go out to my car in the dark in the morning the lights under the side mirror illuminate the web...then I have to crawl in from the far side and drive straight to the car wash, even if it makes me late for work! (also in Florida)

But worse than that, my work location this year is in a heavily wooded patch (part of the location name is "glens"). I have seen the most frightening and exotic creatures crawling around there, including IN the building! banana spiders, wolf spiders, post nuclear apocalypse sized cockroaches, and in the spring: massive numbers of caterpillars with fuzzy white fuzz and orange horns. They fall on you at your desk from the ceiling! *screams* this is the stuff of nightmares... I just wish they would trim the trees back in the parking lot so I didn't have to park UNDER the creatures. I'm terrified they are going to drop down from the tree and get comfy in my car, or worse, on my motorcycle. I've taken to getting to work 30 minutes early so I can have my choice of least under trees spaces, even though they are ALL under trees to some extent.

Evo, how did you get that bowl on it? With my luck I would have dropped the bowl and broken it or I would have squished half the spider in and the other half out. EW EW EW EW EW EW EW screw the food contact surfaces get me the Raid! (or a gun!)

"Spinnerette"

ArcanaNoir said:
Evo, how did you get that bowl on it? With my luck I would have dropped the bowl and broken it or I would have squished half the spider in and the other half out. EW EW EW EW EW EW EW screw the food contact surfaces get me the Raid! (or a gun!)
I selected the clear glass bowl so I could make sure I wasn't going to hurt the spider. Also, one of the traits of this spider is that when it sees a human, it stops moving, or at least slows down, so it was easy to cover. Luckily I had that large, thin envelope.

Evo said:
one of the traits of this spider is that when it sees a human, it stops moving, or at least slows down

Perhaps it waits for petting.

Borek said:
Perhaps it waits for petting.

Wonder if it would sit in my lap and purr like my cats do.

no web? :confused:

it's probably an investigative spider called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_and_Nick:_The_Wildebeest_Years" :smile: