1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a physical picture

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    Need a physical picture!!!

The electric potential of some charge configuration is given by V(r) = A*e^(-λr) / r

Its Electric field is E = A*[(λr+1)/(r^2)]*e^(-λr) [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

And its charge density is ρ = 4*pi*A*ε0*δ(r) - [(ε0*(λ^2)*A*e^-λr) / r] , where δ(r) is delta function.

The thing that surprised me is the total charge is zero (Q = 0), how could this happened since I have a charge density? and can someone help me answering the following two questions.

1. What is the physical picture of the charge density (=how does the charge density look
    like)?

2. Where could a charge density of this form appear in nature?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2011 #2
    Re: Need a physical picture!!!

Hi, How have you figured out that the total charge is zero exactly?

For a picture of the charge density its worth simplifying the statement of charge density by putting all the constants together, unless I have made a mistake does this make sense?

[itex]ρ(r)=B*δ(r)-C\frac{e^{-Dr}}{r}[/itex]

It is then a case of taking several significant values of radial points (it should already be clear it is spherically symmetric) and considering the value of the charge density given that B and C are positive. Does this help?

Once you have the shape and given the spherical nature the second question should make more sense.

4. Oct 4, 2011 #3

A charge distribution of this nature appears when you place a point charge in a plasma. The point charge is screened by the ions/electrons of the plasma.

5. Oct 4, 2011 #4

To get the total charge, I took the volume integral of the charge density, that is

Q = ∫ρ dv = ∫(4*pi*A*ε0*δ(r) - [(ε0*(λ^2)*A*e^-λr) / r]) dv

= (4*pi*A*ε0) ∫δ(r) dv - (ε0*(λ^2)*A) ∫((e^-λr) / r) dv

= (4*pi*A*ε0) - (ε0*(λ^2)*A) ∫∫∫((e^-λr) / r) (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ,

since ∫δ(r) dv = 1

and dv = (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ in spherical coordinates.

Also, ∫∫∫((e^-λr) / r) (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ = (4*pi*ε0*(λ^2)*A)((1/λ^2)-((r*e^-λr)/λ)-((e^-λr)/(λ^2)),

and for entire space: r goes to ∞, we get ∫∫∫((e^-λr) / r) (r^2)*sin(∅)*dr*d∅*dθ = (4*pi*ε0*A).

Hence, Q = (4*pi*A*ε0) - (4*pi*ε0*A) = 0

I am really still confusing about understanding this problem.

6. Oct 4, 2011 #5

Hi, your working appears correct. I am not 100% but taking Dickfore answer this solution would make sense. The total enclosed charge is zero due to screening by the plasma. Sorry I cant be of any help

7. Oct 4, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a positive point charge in the middle and negative charge distribution around. It is somewhat similar to a spherical capacitor with a very small inner sphere, with positive charge, and a grounded outer sphere where negative charges accumulate. There is an electric field between the spheres, there is a charge distribution, and the total charge of the capacitor is zero.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook